The Student Room Group

History Edexcel A Level 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Nice paper. Although the source question was a bit strange. Causes of Indian mutiny was a nice enquiry but the second one seemed a bit tenuous, there wasn’t much in the source to go on
Anyone else do British Experience of Warfare? The question about changes in artillery from 1815-1918 (can't remember the question specifically but the first one in Section C) was strange, no idea what you'd put for that... but that's probably just me. I did the war in the air question and Haldane's reforms, although I barely even looked at the reforms while revising. :s-smilie:
The source wasn't too bad but I never do well with those questions. Glad it was on the Boers, as I feel there's a lot to say about their tactics compared to orthodox warfare.
I've seen people complaining about the lack of Crimea, which I didn't notice but yeah that's a shame. A question on medicine would've been nice. How did everyone else find it?
Original post by peachys
Anyone else do British Experience of Warfare? The question about changes in artillery from 1815-1918 (can't remember the question specifically but the first one in Section C) was strange, no idea what you'd put for that... but that's probably just me. I did the war in the air question and Haldane's reforms, although I barely even looked at the reforms while revising. :s-smilie:
The source wasn't too bad but I never do well with those questions. Glad it was on the Boers, as I feel there's a lot to say about their tactics compared to orthodox warfare.
I've seen people complaining about the lack of Crimea, which I didn't notice but yeah that's a shame. A question on medicine would've been nice. How did everyone else find it?

I found it quite nice, the source question was strange though, normally there's always one enquiry the source is useful for but it seemed equally as useful for both, and there wasn't much to write about provenance. Nelson question was lovely, but I'm scared I screwed it up a bit because even though I talked about the Battle of Trafalgar, I accidentally said it was the Battle of Waterloo which is a completely different thing. Also did the reform question, mentioned Haldane, McNeill Tulloch and Caldwell, didn't have too much information on them so I did waffle a bit, overall I thought it was quite a good paper though, could have been a lot worse
Original post by LilyP31
Nice paper. Although the source question was a bit strange. Causes of Indian mutiny was a nice enquiry but the second one seemed a bit tenuous, there wasn’t much in the source to go on

Hi. I did the same paper. What questions did you do for section A, B and C?

I hated the source question, didn’t revsise much of India so probably didn’t do well. But the rest of the paper was not bad. Edexcel could have done worse.
Reply 104
Original post by Pinkbrickroad
Hi. I did the same paper. What questions did you do for section A, B and C?

I hated the source question, didn’t revsise much of India so probably didn’t do well. But the rest of the paper was not bad. Edexcel could have done worse.

Hi. Finally found someone who did the same paper! I did the source question, the Macquarie question and the one about the navigation acts. You? I thought it was pretty nice. I agree- could have been much worse. Good luck for your results.
Original post by LilyP31
Hi. Finally found someone who did the same paper! I did the source question, the Macquarie question and the one about the navigation acts. You? I thought it was pretty nice. I agree- could have been much worse. Good luck for your results.

I know right! I feel like everyone does British warfare. LOL, I did the same questions. I felt more confident with navigation acts and Macquarie because those were not bad and were my favourite from the course. Yeah defo, Edexcel was nice this year with the questions. Thank you! 😊 Good luck to you too!
Original post by LilyP31

Also, what did you write for the source question? I found it a bit tricky and the sources were a bit difficult.
Reply 107
Also, what did you write for the source question? I found it a bit tricky and the sources were a bit difficult.

Treated the two enquiries separately. So spoke about what is says about causes of mutiny, using knowledge and the second enquiry I said the source wasn’t very valuable explaining why/what is missed out also talking about N.O.P
Original post by LilyP31
Treated the two enquiries separately. So spoke about what is says about causes of mutiny, using knowledge and the second enquiry I said the source wasn’t very valuable explaining why/what is missed out also talking about N.O.P

Ohh ok. Sounds like you did well then. Btw what is N.O.P? Lol I know stupid question, but I don’t use abbreviations so I’m sorta confused. 😂
Original post by jfjfjfjufjfj
I found it quite nice, the source question was strange though, normally there's always one enquiry the source is useful for but it seemed equally as useful for both, and there wasn't much to write about provenance. Nelson question was lovely, but I'm scared I screwed it up a bit because even though I talked about the Battle of Trafalgar, I accidentally said it was the Battle of Waterloo which is a completely different thing. Also did the reform question, mentioned Haldane, McNeill Tulloch and Caldwell, didn't have too much information on them so I did waffle a bit, overall I thought it was quite a good paper though, could have been a lot worse

For providence i talked about the news media being mostly supportive and jingoistic to begin with (remember Massingham was sacked for being anti-war) and the times was openly critical of Buller following black week,
Reply 110
Ohh ok. Sounds like you did well then. Btw what is N.O.P? Lol I know stupid question, but I don’t use abbreviations so I’m sorta confused. 😂

Haha that’s ok- nature origin purpose. Just about who wrote the source really.
Original post by LilyP31
Haha that’s ok- nature origin purpose. Just about who wrote the source really.

Ohh yeah my teacher taught me that, he said look at the title of the question the the province.
Original post by peachys

Hi I think it went really well personally! I did the French Wars question and the Haldane one - loved the paper!! For the artillery one I'd argue other weaponry development too like Congreve's rockets, tanks etc.
I still cannot believe that I finished yesterday! I did the rebellion and disorder in Tudor England paper; I quite liked the source, we had guessed that it might be Tyrone, I did the Northern Earls causes essay (you do not pass up the opportunity of a causes essay), I then did the localities question on the reestablishment of the council of the north which I also really liked. Thought it was a good paper, did any of you do it?
Original post by Hibzharun
I am!!! you're the first person I've found doing it.

Are you ready for the exam tomorrow?

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be; the source wasn't bad, the section B was nice (I did the Henry VI question) and the section C was okay but it took me a while to figure out how to structure a 'turning point' essay.
Original post by ofagonyniceties
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be; the source wasn't bad, the section B was nice (I did the Henry VI question) and the section C was okay but it took me a while to figure out how to structure a 'turning point' essay.

Same!!! I picked the Henry V question though.

I agree with the parliament question. What points did you make? to evaluate I spoke about wonderful parliament and parliament of the devil's.
Original post by Hibzharun
Same!!! I picked the Henry V question though.

I agree with the parliament question. What points did you make? to evaluate I spoke about wonderful parliament and parliament of the devil's.

I agreed with the parliament question as well I talked about the Parliament of Devils and also the parliaments of Richard III and Henry VII where they used parliaments to manipulate the succession (1484 Titulus Regius + 1485 Parliament) to their favour because they were the first examples of parliament being used like this. The exam was a blur, I can't quite remember what my other paragraph was about but I think I talked about examples where parliament outright rejected the monarchs in request for monies or didn't give them the full amount they requested (Henry VII and Edward IV were examples I used I think.)

I didn't mention Richard II's parliaments actually I think it's because I planned a similar essay, had my history teacher look at it and he suggested that I try and stay within the 1399-1509 chronology.
Original post by goingslightlymad
I still cannot believe that I finished yesterday! I did the rebellion and disorder in Tudor England paper; I quite liked the source, we had guessed that it might be Tyrone, I did the Northern Earls causes essay (you do not pass up the opportunity of a causes essay), I then did the localities question on the reestablishment of the council of the north which I also really liked. Thought it was a good paper, did any of you do it?

I thought it was pretty good :smile: I did the same questions as you actually. Fingers crossed!!
It's a nightmare - there is nothing out there! Please share if you do find something
Hi do u remember what questions came up in your A level? I’m doing the same papers and I’m in year 13 now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending