Turn on thread page Beta

Nurse said don't loose any more weight! watch

Announcements

As a kid, I was quite chubby. But in recent years I have got myself together and lost quite a bit of weight. I go swimming at least 3-4 times a week and do 50 lengths at least on each session.

I was basically at an asthma appointment. The nurse made a comment when weighing and told me I have lost tonnes of weight from last years appointment. I thought no one would ever say that to me, I think she told me to eat more or something (which I don't mind!).

On a serious note... I think I eat quite a lot and quite big portions. I'm 20 and fairly tall at 6 foot something. I have an office job, so I like my morning swim. I already eat quite a bit.. I mean what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Eat more! The nurse is medically trained, she knows what she's talking about.

You didn't say how much you weigh so you could be underweight
    You can also get issues from losing weight too quickly and people who lose weight quickly have a tendency to put it all back on.

Plus if you're continually losing weight quickly with your current eating and exercise habits then whilst you might be okay now, you're likely to carry on getting thinner which could lead to health problems further down the line.

The nurse perhaps didn't mean you need to put a lot of weight back on, just that you need more food to balance out the energy you're using on exercise. If you're unsure why don't you ask for another appointment?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As a kid, I was quite chubby. But in recent years I have got myself together and lost quite a bit of weight. I go swimming at least 3-4 times a week and do 50 lengths at least on each session.

I was basically at an asthma appointment. The nurse made a comment when weighing and told me I have lost tonnes of weight from last years appointment. I thought no one would ever say that to me, I think she told me to eat more or something (which I don't mind!).

On a serious note... I think I eat quite a lot and quite big portions. I'm 20 and fairly tall at 6 foot something. I have an office job, so I like my morning swim. I already eat quite a bit.. I mean what should I do?
    If you're fairly tall as it is, then simplistically, you'll need to eat more than someone a lot smaller than you anyway... Also depends on the kinds of food you're eating, if you eat healthily, and as you say do a fair amount of swimming, then eating more food could be beneficial. Other things to look out for if you feel fatigued at times.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on your lifestyle in terms of diet/exercise, so if you keep that in mind then you should be ok!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.