Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, my long time aspiration is to be a reaserch scientist in the medicinal feild, and eventually have my own lab, looking deeply into the profession it is strongly advised that I do a PhD, which I am fine to do.

How ever, I've always been pushed towards going to medical school, don't u become a doctor at medical school as that is not what I want to be. Other degrees like medical sciences are labeled as being stepping stones into med school but my query is, are there any degrees about the study of desises or the human body that would be ideal for beginning a carrearcpath in reaserch.

I appreciate you reading this as I know it sounds a bit whiney
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by KyloRen1048)
    Hey everyone, my long time aspiration is to be a reaserch scientist in the medicinal feild, and eventually have my own lab, looking deeply into the profession it is strongly advised that I do a PhD, which I am fine to do.

How ever, I've always been pushed towards going to medical school, don't u become a doctor at medical school as that is not what I want to be. Other degrees like medical sciences are labeled as being stepping stones into med school but my query is, are there any degrees about the study of desises or the human body that would be ideal for beginning a carrearcpath in reaserch.

I appreciate you reading this as I know it sounds a bit whiney
    Anything relevant really from biomed to biochem and mol biol. At this stage just pick one that's interesting to you.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to become a researcher in the medical field particularly, then Biomedical Science is the most relevant course I believe. I study that and my degree has given me a great background on medicine and pathology, has also introduced me into research and allowed me to actually do medical research during my last year. I believe its ideal for preparing someone to go into such field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den902)
    If you want to become a researcher in the medical field particularly, then Biomedical Science is the most relevant course I believe. I study that and my degree has given me a great background on medicine and pathology, has also introduced me into research and allowed me to actually do medical research during my last year. I believe its ideal for preparing someone to go into such field.
    Great thanks for this reply it has helped clarify alot of things, that sounds great btw, was there like a special type of course that u had to apply for to do the reaserch work

ReputationRep:
    Good advice here:

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-e...search-careers

You can go into medical research after doing a degree in medicine. And you also have great the back-up option of becoming a physician if you change your mind.

Other options are biomedical science, biology, genetics, biochemistry etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyloRen1048)
    Great thanks for this reply it has helped clarify alot of things, that sounds great btw, was there like a special type of course that u had to apply for to do the reaserch work
    My university (university of Kent) gave me the choice of doing a dissertation or a lab project which is based on the research of the university. So i chose that and I got to work on research related to Alzheimers and I'm really enjoying it right now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Den902)
    My university (university of Kent) gave me the choice of doing a dissertation or a lab project which is based on the research of the university. So i chose that and I got to work on research related to Alzheimers and I'm really enjoying it right now.
    Whoaa that actually sounds amazing, hearing opportunities such as this excites me and. Motivates me to work, thankyou for sharing this

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.