Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am sure this thread has been made countless times before...but nevertheless

Could anyone recommend any 'must-reads' or 'classics' in the way of books...preferably something thats outside the standard school curriculum.

(In terms of things I'm vaguely interested in: The Dutch Golden Age, English Civil War, The Enlightenment..French Revolution.. but also historiography) Absolutely ANY recommendations would be great though

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If you want to do some reading on the Dutch golden age there are two must reads; The Embarrassment of Riches: An interpretation of Dutch culture in the Golden Age, by Simon Schama (One of my all time favourites) and the Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness and Fall, 1477–1806 by J.I. Israel (Slightly more challenging and quite a heavy read but very insightful). Other books I'd recommend are SPQR by Mary Beard (or if you don't want to read she is currently presenting a documentary on the BBC) and the Global Cold War: Third World interventions... by Odd Arne Westad. Focusses on the cold war in the context of Africa instead of West-European (think Berlin Wall, Prague Spring, Cuban Missile Crisis)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so so much - super helpful! Yes I bought the embarrassment of riches a while ago - still haven’t got round to reading it but aiming to ASAP - and am currently loving Civilisations on BBC, will give Mary beards book a read. Thanks so much again

ReputationRep:
    No problem, happy to help!

Is civilisations any good ? It keeps popping up but never watched it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evienicholson)
    Am sure this thread has been made countless times before...but nevertheless

Could anyone recommend any 'must-reads' or 'classics' in the way of books...preferably something thats outside the standard school curriculum.

(In terms of things I'm vaguely interested in: The Dutch Golden Age, English Civil War, The Enlightenment..French Revolution.. but also historiography) Absolutely ANY recommendations would be great though

Thanks in advance
    If you want an overview of historiography try Richard Evans: In Defence of History, or Black and Macraild's Studying History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisevanderwiel)
    No problem, happy to help!

Is civilisations any good ? It keeps popping up but never watched it.
    i've only watched the first two but yes particularly loved Simon Schama's (although it was unsurprisingly slightly overblown in the way of presenting) But yes definitely recommend - it's also largely 'non-western' - which is always nice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.