Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I hope you're enjoying half term
    Basically I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. Up until now I've been signed up to be doing the Additional Maths OCR GCSE (I think...) qualification but only recently I've been removed from it but I haven't missed any lessons.
    What I'm struggling with is the decision whether to take it or not. At the moment I'm doing pretty well in maths, set 1, predicted a 9 but I'd say an 8 is what I'm working at right now. I'm enjoying the ad maths course but basically everyone says you should only take it if you are doing maths next year, and I'm taking French, Spanish, English and Latin A-Levels. (this is what got me removed because when I told my maths teacher this he said he'd take me off the course immediately lol)
    Also, I think I'd rather focus on my normal GCSE as that means I would have revision lessons from now until the exams during maths periods which (I'd say) basically guarantees me an 8/9. Plus I'm already doing lots of GCSEs - English lit, language, Maths, triple science, Latin, German, History, French, Spanish, HPQ - and I think my extra GCSE in German (started this year) would be more impressive than Ad Maths considering what I want to apply for.
    Does the Ad Maths GCSE make uni apps look more impressive if your course is absolutely nothing to do with it? Or should I carry on? Does having one more qualification/GCSE make you stand out? Any advice would be appreciated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Additional maths isn't actually a GCSE, it's the FSMQ which is better than a GCSE. However, as you say it's not really relevant to your future so there is unlikely to be much benefit from it. The 12 GCSEs you have are plenty and it sounds like you were leaning to not taking it so I'd say concentrate on getting the highest grade you can in your other subjects and leave add maths behind. An 8/9 in maths clearly shows your academic ability in maths so as you won't be using it in the future then it seems like you should just continue without it.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Additional maths isn't actually a GCSE, it's the FSMQ which is better than a GCSE. However, as you say it's not really relevant to your future so there is unlikely to be much benefit from it. The 12 GCSEs you have are plenty and it sounds like you were leaning to not taking it so I'd say concentrate on getting the highest grade you can in your other subjects and leave add maths behind. An 8/9 in maths clearly shows your academic ability in maths so as you won't be using it in the future then it seems like you should just continue without it.
    Hope that helps
    Yeah I said that it was a different qualification but thanks for clarifying!
    This helped, thank you it was just hard for me to choose to drop it haha
    I've seen it's worth UCAS points. Will that really make any difference?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    Yeah I said that it was a different qualification but thanks for clarifying!
    This helped, thank you it was just hard for me to choose to drop it haha
    I've seen it's worth UCAS points. Will that really make any difference?
    Yeah, thought it was best to clarify in case people who were giving advice confused it with GCSE further maths!
    You're welcome! Can completely relate to not wanting to drop something. I've recently dropped my fourth subject at A level and I just sort of kept it going for a while just because that was like not making a decision to drop it, but similar to this I don't need it at all for my future so eventually I did make the decision to let it go.
    UCAS points are only important if you're applying to lower level universities really. The upper unis will want certain grades in a certain number of subjects whereas a few of the lower ones want a certain number of points and won't always specify over how many subjects so you could use it for something like that. If you're taking 4 subjects at A level though I'm pretty certain you won't be going for courses like that so it doesn't matter

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thought it was best to clarify in case people who were giving advice confused it with GCSE further maths!
    You're welcome! Can completely relate to not wanting to drop something. I've recently dropped my fourth subject at A level and I just sort of kept it going for a while just because that was like not making a decision to drop it, but similar to this I don't need it at all for my future so eventually I did make the decision to let it go.
    UCAS points are only important if you're applying to lower level universities really. The upper unis will want certain grades in a certain number of subjects whereas a few of the lower ones want a certain number of points and won't always specify over how many subjects so you could use it for something like that. If you're taking 4 subjects at A level though I'm pretty certain you won't be going for courses like that so it doesn't matter
    Yeah I'm aiming pretty high but if it doesn't really distinguish me then I think it will be better to just focus my energy into revising for my other GCSEs. I'll have a good chance of a high grade in maths because as I said, while (mostly) the rest of the class is doing Ad Maths, I can revise independently. I'm basically the only one in the class not doing maths next year lol
    I totally get you, it just feels so disappointing to quit something, especially since I'm not doing maths next year. It sounds weird but I want to enjoy it while I can it feels like giving up but then I realise this attitude gets you nowhere as if I'm still mourning over not doing Ad Maths I won't get anywhere with my other GCSEs. It just feels strange not needing stuff, because up until now I haven't really had a choice to actually drop subjects. (except A-Levels, but somehow that wasn't as hard for me)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah I'm aiming pretty high but if it doesn't really distinguish me then I think it will be better to just focus my energy into revising for my other GCSEs. I'll have a good chance of a high grade in maths because as I said, while (mostly) the rest of the class is doing Ad Maths, I can revise independently. I'm basically the only one in the class not doing maths next year lol
    I totally get you, it just feels so disappointing to quit something, especially since I'm not doing maths next year. It sounds weird but I want to enjoy it while I can it feels like giving up but then I realise this attitude gets you nowhere as if I'm still mourning over not doing Ad Maths I won't get anywhere with my other GCSEs. It just feels strange not needing stuff, because up until now I haven't really had a choice to actually drop subjects. (except A-Levels, but somehow that wasn't as hard for me)
    Yeah I'd say for languages, it might be different you having that but they won't care about it iyswim
    It is, but it sounds like it's the best decision for you :yep:
    Totally get you there. I guess when you know where you want to go it's easier to make a decision though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd say for languages, it might be different you having that but they won't care about it iyswim
    It is, but it sounds like it's the best decision for you :yep:
    Totally get you there. I guess when you know where you want to go it's easier to make a decision though
    Thanks for all your help! I just don't want to regret it, all my choices have to be reeeaaallyyyy informed!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for all your help! I just don't want to regret it, all my choices have to be reeeaaallyyyy informed!!
    No worries Can really relate to that, but I think in this case you're definitely making the right decision :hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.