Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m currently in year 10 at school so I have my GCSEs next year. I’m quite a good student in lessons but my exam results are not so good. I put this down to not knowing how to revise effectively, I’m not sure if it’s just me but it seems as if we’re never taught how to effectively revise. I was wondering how people find it best to revise and how it’s helped them with exams.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What subjects do you need most help with revising and I'll try help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a year 12 student, so I have done my GCSE's!
    I think it is really about finding what works for you. There are lots of ways to revise!
    For me, I really like making flashcards. You can decorate them if it helps you become more motivated to read through them, and they're easy to make- you can do words with their definitions on the back, or exam questions with the answers on the other side! I like doing them because once you've made them, you can ask someone to do them with you and it makes it much more effective if they read out the question/definition and then you have to answer it and explain it to them. This is actually a form of elaborate rehearsal, which basically means that you will have a much deeper understanding of what you're revising and remember it better!

You could also try making mind maps, which is great for linking ideas together- this could be from memory or from a textbook. If you're making one from a textbook, condense the study material down as much as you can, this is much more effective because you are only writing the key points you need! Summaries are also good; similar to mind maps, try using your textbook and make bullet points of key ideas. Again, make sure you condense it as much as possible- for example, if you want to write a summary for a page, aim to only write a half or third of a page in your summary. This is another method which means you are left with all of the key information. To take it a step further, you could make flashcards from your summary! I would also highly recommend doing past exam papers and reading mark schemes and examiner reports. This means you know exactly what the examiner is looking for! With the past papers, I would recommend writing as much as you can think of. For example, if the question is something like "Give two examples of..." don't just give two examples, give as many as you can think of. If you keep writing out your knowledge, you will remember it much better! And of course mark your answers with the mark scheme- fill in everything you've missed, even if you got full marks on a question. This way, you are revising all of the key info, not just what you already know. Finally, Youtube videos are great, as they often condense the information for you! You can make notes from them too. I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Joseph.C. The subject I’m most worried about are the three sciences but I’m interested in how people revise for all subjects ( I do Maths, English, Science, German,History,Geography, RE and Latin). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    CharlotteHudders Thank You. Do you find different methods work better for different subjects or can they all be applied to all subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan.P)
    CharlotteHudders Thank You. Do you find different methods work better for different subjects or can they all be applied to all subjects?
    Yes, I would say different methods might work for different subjects, but also for the type of content you're learning. I practise this at A-Level, I do psychology for which I have to remember psychologists and their studies, so flashcards are good for this. For example if a subject or topic you are doing requires formulas such as Chemistry or Maths, you might find it more useful to do flashcards for this, so that you can memorise the formulas. This could also be useful for key quotes for English (this helped me a lot). However for something like Biology, where the study material is less about calculations and focuses more on the actual knowledge, it might be better to do mind maps or summaries. You could do a mixture of a few methods or all three! I'd recommend trying them all to get a feel for what works for you, and then go from there. If you find a method doesn't work, just don't use it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlotteHudders)
    Yes, I would say different methods might work for different subjects, but also for the type of content you're learning. I practise this at A-Level, I do psychology for which I have to remember psychologists and their studies, so flashcards are good for this. For example if a subject or topic you are doing requires formulas such as Chemistry or Maths, you might find it more useful to do flashcards for this, so that you can memorise the formulas. This could also be useful for key quotes for English (this helped me a lot). However for something like Biology, where the study material is less about calculations and focuses more on the actual knowledge, it might be better to do mind maps or summaries. You could do a mixture of a few methods or all three! I'd recommend trying them all to get a feel for what works for you, and then go from there. If you find a method doesn't work, just don't use it
    Thanks for the advice, with my mocks coming up I’ll certainly try them out

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am currently in year 12.
    It was always difficult for me to revise, however i have got the hang of it now. I read the relevant sections and complete multiple past papers on them. I make short notes that are to the point. Sometimes type them up
    Whatever you decide to you, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I found these revision tips, which I thought were really helpful: https://senecalearning.com/madani-girls-school/ Seem to be pretty legitimate, and from practice I'd agree with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbz)
    Hey,

I am currently in year 12.
    It was always difficult for me to revise, however i have got the hang of it now. I read the relevant sections and complete multiple past papers on them. I make short notes that are to the point. Sometimes type them up
    Whatever you decide to you, good luck!
    Thanks. How many notes do you usually make per page?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.