Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So this is the first posting I've put on here.
    I'm in year 13 and really want to study medicine but I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety in January 2017. It really affected my grades- I missed a lot of days of sixth form as I couldn't physically get out of bed, or couldn't feel anything and couldn't pay attention or concentrate in class.
    I've been on anti-depressants since then, but Fluoxetine didn't work for me and I didn't find a medication that worked until May. I've been doing CBT since January, and I've found it really helpful, however I have now being diagnosed with OCD from it and social anxiety. My GP has got notes from when I was cutting and was contemplating suicide- he was making me see him every week at one point as he didn't want to give me too much medication.
    I decided to take a gap year as, at the time, I couldn't handle the amount of pressure of trying to do all this at once, and thought it would be beneficial if I took a year out to focus on my health a bit more and enjoy some travelling.
    I'm hoping to be off my medication by April, but this has obviously affected my studies for a year now which is a lot of content.
    At GCSE I got 9A*s and 2As, so I know I can do it, but I'm not sure if I can get the grades needed- I'm currently predicted an A and 2 Bs but I think I could get 2As and a B.
    Would universities take this into consideration- I have got a lot of work experience and interview well, it's just the grades that are worrying me?
    I'm working really hard to overcome this but I'm really scared it's going to ruin the one thing I want to do with the rest of my life.
    What documentation would I need to help?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotImaginative)
    Hi,
    I'm in year 13 and really want to study medicine but I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety in January 2017. It really affected my grades- I missed a lot of days of sixth form as I couldn't physically get out of bed, or couldn't feel anything and couldn't pay attention or concentrate in class.
    I've been on anti-depressants since then, but Fluoxetine didn't work for me and I didn't find a medication that worked until May. I've been doing CBT since January, and I've found it really helpful, however I have now being diagnosed with OCD from it and social anxiety. My GP has got notes from when I was cutting and was contemplating suicide- he was making me see him every week at one point as he didn't want to give me too much medication.
    I decided to take a gap year as, at the time, I couldn't handle the amount of pressure of trying to do all this at once, and thought it would be beneficial if I took a year out to focus on my health a bit more and enjoy some travelling.
    I'm hoping to be off my medication by April, but this has obviously affected my studies for a year now which is a lot of content.
    At GCSE I got 9A*s and 2As, so I know I can do it, but I'm not sure if I can get the grades needed- I'm currently predicted an A and 2 Bs but I think I could get 2As and a B.
    Would universities take this into consideration- I have got a lot of work experience and interview well, it's just the grades that are worrying me?
    I'm working really hard to overcome this but I'm really scared it's going to ruin the one thing I want to do with the rest of my life.
    Thank you
    It’s probably worth getting in touch with universities and asking them about your specific situation. If not though, you can consider applying for foundation courses if you meet the criteria.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth getting in touch with universities. They may accept your grades because of your circumstances, or they may allow you to resit exams to achieve the minimum ( A-Levels over 3 years). Documents wise, they will probably tell you what they need but I'd expect evidence from your GP etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have just applied to medicine with mitigating circumstances, and i emailed all the unis i liked and they were able to tell me what to do in my situation. Some take it into account, like Bristol and UEA because they take a more holistic approach, and some only care if you have the grades, like UCL. You can definitely retake, and alot of unis will be fine with it since you have a genuine reason to take another ear to do your A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    BUT ALSO DONT STRESS if you play to our advantage, with your personal experience and what you have learned from them, you will definitely get into a medicine course somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotImaginative)
    Hi,
    Thank you
    Hi sorry to hear about what you're going through and hoping that you feel better.

Spoiler:
    Show

First of all, you could apply to medical schools with extenuating and mitigating circumstances . each medical school has their own policy so you'd have to read each one. If you miss your grades this year due to your circumstances, you could resit them next year as there are a few unis that accept resits if you achieve certain grades + if you have extenuating circumstances. They'll ask you to explain to them why you had to resit, usually in a separate form provided. You have to state your circumstances and provide evidence e.g. GP letter, letter from school. I'd also recommend you to ask your teacher to inform the exam boards about your circumstances before you sit your exams this year, as they can take this into account when giving you a grade. If you are resitting, most of the time, you're expected to meet and be predicted their entry requirements next year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.