Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have people started revising for GCSEs?

I’ve started to because I want to improve from my mock results , I’m doing around 6 hours a day, 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon/evening, is that enough what are u guys doing.?
    Also do u think it’s possible to go up quite a few grades from mock results ? I’ve heard it’s quite common.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Make sure you don't burn yourself out Are you doing effective revision or are you just staring at a textbook?
    Yes, it's possible - make sure you know the content and practise!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    Make sure you don't burn yourself out Are you doing effective revision or are you just staring at a textbook?
    Yes, it's possible - make sure you know the content and practise!
    Good luck
    What I did in my mocks is stare at a textbook 😂😬I didn’t throughly read through the stuff and just did questions instead of gaining knowledge whereas as now I’m making notes and understanding it and going through the course. Hahah and thank you

ReputationRep:
    only doing 2 hours a dayafter school - how do you fit in 3 hours before school?
    gonna do more in half term tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FC2912)
    only doing 2 hours a dayafter school - how do you fit in 3 hours before school?
    gonna do more in half term tho
    Oh it’s half term for me now that’s why, after school though it’s really difficult coz u have homework to do and dinner but I try and slot revison around it and try and do at least 2 hours on a school night.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing notes now, and trying to get all the understanding (using revision Youtube channels etc plus revision books) so that when I get back after half term I can focus on testing. Basically testing is definitely the most effective form of revision, so I'm trying to do the notes asap so that I can move onto testing. Because then when time is most limited after school, I plan to doing a short test and then any answers I get wrong return to the notes on them and learn them more thoroughly
    Should be a way of identifying what I understand and what I struggle with early on.
    Also, I find revision sites quite useful as then can really quickly return to it after school and start where you left off. This one -https://goo.gl/4B1aCq - Seneca meant to be super effective when it launches. Or things like Quizlet can be alright or gojimo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiSeneca)
    I'm doing notes now, and trying to get all the understanding (using revision Youtube channels etc plus revision books) so that when I get back after half term I can focus on testing. Basically testing is definitely the most effective form of revision, so I'm trying to do the notes asap so that I can move onto testing. Because then when time is most limited after school, I plan to doing a short test and then any answers I get wrong return to the notes on them and learn them more thoroughly
    Should be a way of identifying what I understand and what I struggle with early on.
    Also, I find revision sites quite useful as then can really quickly return to it after school and start where you left off. This one -https://goo.gl/4B1aCq - Seneca meant to be super effective when it launches. Or things like Quizlet can be alright or gojimo
    Wow thanks that Seneca site looks great, only it says early access or something ??

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSEs 4 years ago now, and my mock grades were C/D average. I revised every day for at least an hour, and worked hard in class and on homework etc and got an A, 5Bs and 5Cs, but the weird thing was my subjects i was strongest at during mocks i ended up getting Cs in and the ones i struggled i got Bs for example my teachers for German and Science told me id only get Es and i came out with a high C, and a high B. It is possible to improve your results now if you put the time in, and also prove your teachers wrong if they think your not gonna get far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by standardproduct)
    Wow thanks that Seneca site looks great, only it says early access or something ??
    Yea think it launches start of March, so in next couple of weeks. I've signed up though so hoping to get access pretty soon! It looks cool..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KylieemilyJ)
    I did my GCSEs 4 years ago now, and my mock grades were C/D average. I revised every day for at least an hour, and worked hard in class and on homework etc and got an A, 5Bs and 5Cs, but the weird thing was my subjects i was strongest at during mocks i ended up getting Cs in and the ones i struggled i got Bs for example my teachers for German and Science told me id only get Es and i came out with a high C, and a high B. It is possible to improve your results now if you put the time in, and also prove your teachers wrong if they think your not gonna get far.
    Okay thank you x , I got As,Bs and Cs in my mocks I want As/A*s and didn’t revise properly for my mocks I think with enough revision that I’m doing hopefully I can do it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you x , I got As,Bs and Cs in my mocks I want As/A*s and didn’t revise properly for my mocks I think with enough revision that I’m doing hopefully I can do it
    Good luck youll do great GCSEs are horrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiSeneca)
    Yea think it launches start of March, so in next couple of weeks. I've signed up though so hoping to get access pretty soon! It looks cool..
    Ahhh yeh it totally does thanks for telling me about it x

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys listen to music when revising or do you find it too distracting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FC2912)
    Do you guys listen to music when revising or do you find it too distracting?
    It’s distracting, I only use it when I need some peace and quiet but only then I type in on YouTube concerntration /study music which is normally classical. Can’t have any music with words it distracts me.

ReputationRep:
    It’s distracting, I only use it when I need some peace and quiet but only then I type in on YouTube concerntration /study music which is normally classical. Can’t have any music with words it distracts me.
    But, people are different I know it helps some people to concernstrate do what u think actually helps and is best for u

ReputationRep:
    Revision cards are the best for like any revision even last minute if you listen to the videos in the back ground small but important things will stick

ReputationRep:
    Geez, I got 4As,3Bs and 2Cs and i havent started yet Im on half term too so i should really start since im aiming for all 7,8 and 9s at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mekail2001)
    Geez, I got 4As,3Bs and 2Cs and i havent started yet Im on half term too so i should really start since im aiming for all 7,8 and 9s at the end
    Yeh that’s what I’m aiming for as well

ReputationRep:
    lol i haven't done anything and I now im panicking - i got a 5, i repeat a 5 in my maths mock im actually going to fail but other than that i literally managed to get an average of 70% in everything. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED???? SHOULD I BE REVISING NOW OH DEAR

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.