Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, I'm currently doing a gap year and have re-applied to universities (after not getting accepted into the ones I really wanted to go to). However, I'd really like to move out for uni, as my home environment is far too toxic for me to be in anymore (parents constantly fighting, a lot of abuse etc.) but my parents don't understand this and have said multiple times that if I leave, there's no turning back and I'll be disowned. My mum has even gone as far as to say she'll die if I leave...

I'm thinking of just waiting till results day to see where I actually get accepted, and if it is one of the unis I want to go to, I'll announce I'm moving out.

In terms of where Student Finance is concerned, I can possibly get all the required details for my first year of uni, and get both a tuition and maintenance loan, but my question is how will I get all these details for my second and third year at uni - when I'll no longer have any contact with my parents?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also forgot to ask, most university accommodation requires a guarantor, who else is eligible to be one other than a parent/relative?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by vausebi)
    To cut a long story short, I'm currently doing a gap year and have re-applied to universities (after not getting accepted into the ones I really wanted to go to). However, I'd really like to move out for uni, as my home environment is far too toxic for me to be in anymore (parents constantly fighting, a lot of abuse etc.) but my parents don't understand this and have said multiple times that if I leave, there's no turning back and I'll be disowned. My mum has even gone as far as to say she'll die if I leave...

I'm thinking of just waiting till results day to see where I actually get accepted, and if it is one of the unis I want to go to, I'll announce I'm moving out.

In terms of where Student Finance is concerned, I can possibly get all the required details for my first year of uni, and get both a tuition and maintenance loan, but my question is how will I get all these details for my second and third year at uni - when I'll no longer have any contact with my parents?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I also forgot to ask, most university accommodation requires a guarantor, who else is eligible to be one other than a parent/relative?
    Hi vausebi,

If you have no contact or a limited* amount of contact (verbal or written) with your biological/adoptive parent(s) for a significant amount of time, you can be assessed as an independent student on the basis of estrangement. This means your parents do not need to provide their financial details to calculate your entitlement.A significant period of time is usually considered four months or longer prior to the start of their course, but can also depend on their individual circumstances.

You must provide a signed and dated letter from an independent person with good standing in the community, for example, a Doctor, Teacher or Social Worker, confirming the following:

• Their relationship to the student and the length of time they have known them
    • The reasons for the estrangement from both their parents and when this occurred
    • Current contact levels with both parents and if a reconciliation is likely.

With regards to the grantor for the University accommodation, you will need to speak to them direct.

Thanks

Catherine

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.