Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Go to a university with a course you like.

I presume you are in Y12? You have plenty of time to research and visit universities and their courses.

What are you likely A-level grades?
    Im in year 13 and im predicted triple A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RZZR)
    Is it better going to a medium ranked University and being the top student there or is it better going to a top Univesity but being an average student? I am unsure at about which type of university to pick.
    The latter if you want to be stretched, the former if you want to have it a little easier, although I don't know how much of a range there is for your subject. It's also by no means certain that you'd be the best.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Forget about being "top student", no one cares about whos best in university. It's not like high school or sixth form when there's 20 in one class, just focus on you
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by RZZR)
    Im in year 13 and im predicted triple A
    If you are in Y13 have you already applied? If so, to where and what are the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are in Y13 have you already applied? If so, to where and what are the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have applied to Kent, Southampton, Liverpool, Cass Business School and LSE. Offers range from AAB to AAA
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by RZZR)
    I have applied to Kent, Southampton, Liverpool, Cass Business School and LSE. Offers range from AAB to AAA
    Congrats on your offers So the conventional wisdom is that the London universities tend to have good "city firm" connections. I know precisely nothing about Actuarial Science but I suspect Cass would be the usually prefered university for that course.

And for any of those, if you have the grades you won't be "worst at a top uni".

But I'll say again, apply to the course you like at a university you want to spend 3 years at.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on your offers So the conventional wisdom is that the London universities tend to have good "city firm" connections. I know precisely nothing about Actuarial Science but I suspect Cass would be the usually prefered university for that course.

And for any of those, if you have the grades you won't be "worst at a top uni".

But I'll say again, apply to the course you like at a university you want to spend 3 years at.
    Thanks. Is it easier to get a 1st degree at a medium university than a top university?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by RZZR)
    Thanks. Is it easier to get a 1st degree at a medium university than a top university?
    (Original post by RZZR)
    In actuarial science? no
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In actuarial science? no
    Why not? Would I be doing the same final exam if I was at either university?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by RZZR)
    Why not? Would I be doing the same final exam if I was at either university?
    No you won't. Each university has it's own course and sets it's own exams (or coursework, etc - not everything is assessed by exam). If a course is accredited it will contain a certain amount of core content, but there may be variation on what else there is, and how it is all taught and assessed, from university to university.

Compare Cass
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un...uarial-Science

And LSE
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Un...uarial-Science

etc
    etc

They are different. Which course(s) do you prefer?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.