Turn on thread page Beta

Training contracts and visas watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently some new visa rules came about that permitted greater flexibility for international students to avail of work visas. How effective is this move in reality? Is it better now than before?

Also do the firms that are allowed to sponsor tier 2 visas give open preference to UK or EU nationals? Has Brexit reduced preference towards EU?

All in all how do the prospects of securing a training contract for an international student look in the future. (leaving out the condition of it being competitive either ways)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayan B)
    Recently some new visa rules came about that permitted greater flexibility for international students to avail of work visas. How effective is this move in reality? Is it better now than before?

Also do the firms that are allowed to sponsor tier 2 visas give open preference to UK or EU nationals? Has Brexit reduced preference towards EU?

All in all how do the prospects of securing a training contract for an international student look in the future. (leaving out the condition of it being competitive either ways)
    If anything I thought become more difficult, not easier. What are the new rules that you think make it easier?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    If anything I thought become more difficult, not easier. What are the new rules that you think make it easier?
    The whole point of the changes made in January was to make it easier. They said students can apply multiple months in advance for the tier 2 visa rather than having to wait for the actual degree certificate to come and then apply. It apparently gives a wider time gap for students to look for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the changes made in January was to make it easier. They said students can apply multiple months in advance for the tier 2 visa rather than having to wait for the actual degree certificate to come and then apply. It apparently gives a wider time gap for students to look for jobs.
    For law it is irrelevant given the time lag in recruitment (typically 2-3 years). You’d definitely have your degree certificate by the time the application process for a TC started.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    From what you described, I'm afraid these changes will not make the visa application process any easier for international students.

Under existing regulations, you indeed need the actual university degree certificate for your visa application. However, no one really waits until their degree certificate is issued to start looking for a job. You can secure a job early in your final year and only apply for the work permit in the summer after receiving your certificate - it's not a problem at all.

Additionally, though not advisable, you can submit your application for a work visa on the day your student visa expires. While your application is considered, you are allowed to stay in the UK under the terms of your student visa. This means technically you have until the expiry date of your student visa to secure a job. I cannot see how the changes you mentioned would make the time gap to look for jobs any wider!

It would only make a difference if they government said they would give international students more time to apply for work permit after their graduation. In that case you would indeed have a wider time gap to find a job.

Giving you more time to apply for work permit before your graduation just means if something goes wrong in the application process you will have enough time to re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that you're applying to the big shops who routinely sponsor visas, I don't think too much has changed. It's not too difficult for them to get you a work visa so long as there isn't a break between being a student and starting work as a trainee. In general, I suspect you need to be better if you require a visa (as it costs more to recruit you) but I don't think it's insurmountable by any means. A decent number of the people I trained with required visas and there are certainly plenty of people that are on visas at my new firm.

In general, I think the view should be that if you have the right kind of profile and you want to be a trainee in England, you should apply regardless of whether you need a visa or not.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.