Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (International student);

I am currently an A-level student wishing to apply to some medical schools. I have very weak O-level grades as compared to most GCSE grades in TSR. My score was AAAAAABBB (6 A's and 3B's), but it was the highest in the school I had attended.

Can I have some suggestions on where should I apply to if that is the case? (UK universities)

For more information:

My exam board is CIE, so it is compulsory for me to sit for the AS exams (which covers 50% of the final grade). I will have my AS-level exams in May, and then my A2 exams in October/November.

Plus, my A2 subjects are Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.

Furthermore, I am not only considering to study in the UK but since people normally apply there before their A-level results come out, I might as well try my luck right?

ReputationRep:
    If they were the best in your school, then that will be taken into consideration when universities consider your application. You may be flagged up and automatically given an interview at universities such as Oxford or Cambridge, if your school has been recorded as severely underperforming. You have good A-Level subjects, and if you can do well in these (and demonstrate your passion for medicine in your personal statement) I would say you have a good shot at medicine in some Russel group universities. If it was the teaching that led you to these lower grades, you have a chance at universities such as Oxbridge or Edinburgh, but if you think it was your ability/work ethic that damaged your grades, maybe go for slightly lower (but still Russel group) ranked universities in terms of more academically challenging and difficult to get into. I can't guarantee you a place at any university, but from what I can tell you have a chance anywhere so apply to the universities that offer what seem like the most interesting courses, or appeal the most to you! Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh... I see :huff:. Thanks for the information and wishes for luck! I hope I do get at least accepted by a few universities after applying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wifd149)
    Oh... I see :huff:. Thanks for the information and wishes for luck! I hope I do get at least accepted by a few universities after applying
    If you don't you can always wait a year and apply again in the next cycle
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Aye aye, sir

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.