Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Oxford Personal statements watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    I think emailing them, isn't a bad thing.
    Especially when you're extra.
    I usually email edexcel certificates etc. and state that they are proof.

You don't want them (admissions) to hassle when they want to offer you a place.
    So always send official documents.
    If they want official documents from any applicant they will ask you for them. There's no need to send things that haven't been requested, it just creates extra work for the staff.

And in some cases "over communicating" can cause you problems because it might seem as if you are trying to bypass the processes and possibly even curry favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If they want official documents from any applicant they will ask you for them. There's no need to send things that haven't been requested, it just creates extra work for the staff.

And in some cases "over communicating" can cause you problems because it might seem as if you are trying to bypass the processes and possibly even curry favour.
    Over 5000 applicants.
    They probably (and I'm sure) don't read every personal statement.
    In my personal statement, I just list and talk about everything I've done, from poetry to UKMT.
    In a sep email - I show proof of what I wrote in my personal statement. Or even better, get my head of year to talk about my achievements instead of I talking about it. But then that makes my personal statement sour because I have nothing to write.

I've never been rejected through this method.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    I've never been rejected through this method.
    We are talking about university course applications, and you haven't applied yet.

Your head of year, or other referee, writes a reference for your overall UCAS application. You have one PS, and one reference, which remains the same for all 5 university choices.

Sending additional, unsolicited, information to universities may compromise your application. Don't do it.

Anyway, this is going off-topic from the OP's question, which has already been answered.

I'm closing this thread. OP if you have further questions please PM me and I'll re-open it

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.