Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    the fx-83GT is good for a level too.
    I've just bought the classwiz to replace my fx-83GT after a few of the keys started to lose their markings, I'd had it since GCSE in 2014. im second year a level.
    Yeah that’s the one I have currently
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    the fx-83GT is good for a level too.
    I've just bought the classwiz to replace my fx-83GT after a few of the keys started to lose their markings, I'd had it since GCSE in 2014. im second year a level.
    Its fine for the current modular A level (though many go for the benefits of the 991 ES plus) but it is inadequate for the new Linear A level maths for which the classwiz is the minimum because most statistical tables are no longer included in formulae books .

I mention this because I've noticed you often offer good practical advice for self teaching students and wanted to be sure you knew the requirements have moved on for the new specification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Its fine for the current modular A level (though many go for the benefits of the 991 ES plus) but it is inadequate for the new Linear A level maths for which the classwiz is the minimum because most statistical tables are no longer included in formulae books .

I mention this because I've noticed you often offer good practical advice for self teaching students and wanted to be sure you knew the requirements have moved on for the new specification
    thanks for classifying it.
    when asked I'll suggest my classwiz now.
    I'm not surprised they've dropped the tables. I don't even know how to use them, there is no videos on how they're used (that I could find) in not quite at that bit in my book, so don't know if it's going to tell me.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for classifying it.
    when asked I'll suggest my classwiz now.
    I'm not surprised they've dropped the tables. I don't even know how to use them, there is no videos on how they're used (that I could find) in not quite at that bit in my book, so don't know if it's going to tell me.
    The resources on exam solutions are quite good at explaining how to use the tables for normal, binominal and poisson questions.
    You will be able to use your classwiz capabilities to make sure your results are correct though if you don't show the gymnastics needed to find answers from the tables in your working I'm not entirely sure how individual examiners will award method marks. My instinct is that correct answers using the calculator should earn full marks but I don't teach statistics so can't be certain.

ReputationRep:
    I always read the examiners report and all the notes on mark schemes, so I'll see if marks are lost through lack of workings. if I'm going to lose marks then I'll definitely work on using the tables.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The resources on exam solutions are quite good at explaining how to use the tables for normal, binominal and poisson questions.
    You will be able to use your classwiz capabilities to make sure your results are correct though if you don't show the gymnastics needed to find answers from the tables in your working I'm not entirely sure how individual examiners will award method marks. My instinct is that correct answers using the calculator should earn full marks but I don't teach statistics so can't be certain.
    Are you talking about old spec or new spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Are you talking about old spec or new spec?
    Old spec. RuthieG101 is doing old spec but has a classwiz. I know Candidates have used graphical calculators for ages and so can answer most questions without use of printed tables and some mark schemes show the result that would come from a calculator as well as the result from tables. I just don't want to say it is 100% certain full marks would be awarded by all examiners as I dont know for sure.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Old spec. RuthieG101 is doing old spec but has a classwiz. I know Candidates have used graphical calculators for ages and so can answer most questions without use of printed tables and some mark schemes show the result that would come from a calculator as well as the result from tables. I just don't want to say it is 100% certain full marks would be awarded by all examiners as I dont know for sure.
    This has also been something unclear to me since I only really know new spec.

My guess would be that for a lot of questions, just using a calculator won’t be sufficient but I’m not 100% sure. E.g. for some normal distribution questions you have to standardise first but in the new spec you can just use the calculator functions. I would have thought that it wouldn’t be okay to use these calc functions for these types of questions in the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    A reply from Graham Cumming at Edexcel:
    I'd say the Classwiz can be used in all GCE and GCSE examinations where a calculator is allowed - they don't break any JCQ regulations.
    AQA will have to make it pretty clear to all their centres if they don't think it can be used - and I don't believe they have done that yet. They will have a lot of work to do with invigilators if they want to follow through.
    Alternatively, use Edexcel where we accept the Classwiz for GCSE!
    Best wishes,Graham
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I'd say the Classwiz can be used in all GCE and GCSE examinations where a calculator is allowed - they don't break any JCQ regulations.
    AQA will have to make it pretty clear to all their centres if they don't think it can be used - and I don't believe they have done that yet. They will have a lot of work to do with invigilators if they want to follow through.
    Best wishes,Graham
    Thanks for this! It hadn't occured to me that AQA could ban a calculator that didn't go against JCQ regulations. Do you know if it's possible for them to do this? gdunne42 Compost

I also love his subtle advertising

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this! It hadn't occured to me that AQA could ban a calculator that didn't go against JCQ regulations. Do you know if it's possible for them to do this? gdunne42 Compost
    I suppose they could though I can't think of anything similar happening in the past. They'd have to put the ban in clear letters on the front of the exam papers and even then it is bound not to be enforced in places - most centres have their hands full trying to make sure everyone gets the right papers after last minute swaps between Higher and Foundation and colleges can be trying to run Maths for 600+ reluctant students in 40 rooms with novice invigilators drafted in. (Glad I'm in a grammar school )

Me too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Best wishes,Graham
    Nice one TH!
    Graham is da man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I suspect it's more likely that an aqa employee or consultant at a training event gave the response from their own opinion and it isn't official aqa policy at all. I've emailed my aqa contact and will see what they say.
    I recall a lot of conflicting advice being given when the ES plus was first available with some local schools refusing to allow A level candidates to use it.

ReputationRep:
    Best wishes,Graham
    Thank you (I’m on AQA btw but as I see they should’ve said something about it and if Edexcel allows it, it’s likely AQA will too)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.