Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Vine calls Black Panther cast "overwhelmingly black" watch

ReputationRep:
    In an age where historical figures in period dramas are played by by black actors, and male characters are played by women ( I saw Hamlet on stage recently with a female Guildenstern) it is only a matter of time before there is a film depicting the black panthers with a token white actor. Probably a transgender woman.

It is the logical consequence.

ReputationRep:
    And so what!

Most movie casts are majority white with 1 token asian/native/black character!

Why do white people love to make themselves out to be the victim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    And so what!

Most movie casts are majority white with 1 token asian/native/black character!

Why do white people love making themselves out to be the victim... really? We don’t.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not offensive it’s a stupid f*cking comment considering the story focuses on Wakanda - an African nation.

I’m pretty sure presenters are required to do some background research before spilling dumbass s***.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Did he say it in disgust or talk crap about it? It is predominantly black and that's what they wanted. I don't think anyone's particularly bothered about it and I think they're entitled to have one seeing as many movies have all white actors.

(Original post by Danny Dorito)
    BBC The One Show presenter Jeremy Vine called the cast of Black Panther "overwhelmingly black" caused a back lash on social media.

Many people were caught off guard by the comment as they suggested that Vine wouldn't have called Age of Ultron "overwhelmingly white".

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Do you think this was inappropriate of Vine to say? Do you think it was maybe a blunder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    Did he say it in disgust or talk crap about it? It is predominantly black and that's what they wanted. I don't think anyone's particularly bothered about it and I think they're entitled to have one seeing as many movies have all white actors.
    Nope, he was basically posed it as a comment to get Chadwick Boseman's thoughts on it, which is fair because it is noteworthy for having a majority black cast.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The same people that were saying that a swim advert was majority white and lacked diversity.
    The hypocrisy from Black activists and feminist.

ReputationRep:
    Can we just get rid of race threads as a whole?

I wanna vomit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Let's be clear; they're legends and not real-world cultures. The difference is that Thor and Wonder Woman are legends which by coincidence involve white figures. They were not chosen simply because of white faces.

Luke Cage is set in real America, which is not abstract, and in fact there is a mix of white and black people there (even in Harlem). The cross-section of society Luke Cage exists in is not in reality all black; only abstractly all black. The creators went out of their way to defy logic and make it an all-black-environment for the sake of making it black.

But note in the legend of Thor, which is supposedly all-white, Idris Elba made an appearance. Where is Panther/Cage's Idris Elba?
    I accept that there's a difference between the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genre that Black Panther, Thor and Wonder Woman all exist within, and the more grounded dramas like Luke Cage or Daredevil.

The Luke Cage cast (at least, before you get to extras) was about 2/3 black, which is pretty representative of Harlem (well, depends whether you mean all of Harlem proper or just Central Harlem - the former is about 2/3 black, the latter about 3/4). Where's their Idris Elba? Rosario Dawson and Theo Rossi would be the most obvious.

Not that I even have a problem with focusing on a particular culture, though I don't appreciate division and I think by making a product solely for X cross-section of society that perpetuates division.
    Both have been widely popular far beyond a purely black audience. Black Panther seems likely to become the MCU's highest grossing solo film.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I mean, he's not wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    While not dc or marvel, there was a little superhero movie with Will Smith. You may have heard of it. It was called Hancock.
    Fair point, I admit I was only really thinking through Marvel and DC in my mind, so yeah, I did miss Hancock.

Speaking of Will Smith though, I did consider that you could argue that he's the most prominent character in Suicide Squad, but given it's an ensemble cast, I think it would be hard to argue he's clearly the single lead. Also, it's just generally terrible, and Smith simply does better with a bad script than Margot Robbie or Joel Kinnaman.

ReputationRep:
    Wakanda is supposed to be in Africa...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Ironic considering you've done the same based on race.

ReputationRep:
    Overwhelming - very great in amount...just said it as it is - don't see any racism there ladies and gentlemen.

Here's an idea - How about we all just enjoy the movie?! I feel like people are too quick to pull the race card over any little thing especially now with the Black Panther movie. I've even seen people bashing the person who gave it a bad review; is the black community that fragile to criticism?
    Curb your inferiority complex.

Yours Sincerly
    A Black Man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 72nalyomluap)
    So long as they aren’t changing the race of established characters it shouldn’t be an issue, for me anyway.
    I think this changes from character to character and their setting, essentially. Peter Parker is a New York High School kid - could feasibly be of any ethnicity. Bruce Wayne is a rich kid from a quasi-aristocratic old family - he's going to be white.

Similarly, there are some characters who were initially portrayed as a certain race for particular reasons, which they have now outgrown. The most obvious example would be the all-white original X-Men, who were portrayed as white because part of the point was to get white kids in the 1960s to understand racism. But nowadays there's no real reason why Iceman or Cyclops has to be white (though afaik they've still always been portrayed as such).

ReputationRep:
    Overwhelming force = a lotta fellas in the force
    Overwhelmingly black = a lotta black
    Black Panther = a lotta black

Checks out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Fair point, I admit I was only really thinking through Marvel and DC in my mind, so yeah, I did miss Hancock.

Speaking of Will Smith though, I did consider that you could argue that he's the most prominent character in Suicide Squad, but given it's an ensemble cast, I think it would be hard to argue he's clearly the single lead. Also, it's just generally terrible, and Smith simply does better with a bad script than Margot Robbie or Joel Kinnaman.
    Yeah, while he does have one of the largest parts, it's not the greatest film but I applaud them for having a go. But yeah more or a group than a solo film.

ReputationRep:
    Overwhelming isn't a positive (or negative) word. Whilst Vine could probably have phrased it a bit differently, I think it's clear his sentiment was "Wow, I haven't seen such a large proportion of black actors in a film before, that was really striking!". Given that was a deliberate choice by the film, I don't see how anyone could take offence to it, and it actually was a good point to raise so that the cast could promote that aspect of their film.

It was a bit blunt of a question, more of an observation, but the cast would have been primed to (if they weren't already on board) go into detail about deliberately having a mostly black cast. It's like a football interviewer asking a manager after the game "So you're happy with the performance?" after they win 10-0.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Breaking news man uses fact

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.