Turn on thread page Beta

Jeremy Vine calls Black Panther cast "overwhelmingly black" watch

ReputationRep:
    Saw it yesterday - it was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    I think this changes from character to character and their setting, essentially. Peter Parker is a New York High School kid - could feasibly be of any ethnicity. Bruce Wayne is a rich kid from a quasi-aristocratic old family - he's going to be white.

Similarly, there are some characters who were initially portrayed as a certain race for particular reasons, which they have now outgrown. The most obvious example would be the all-white original X-Men, who were portrayed as white because part of the point was to get white kids in the 1960s to understand racism. But nowadays there's no real reason why Iceman or Cyclops has to be white (though afaik they've still always been portrayed as such).
    So what? You would be more in favour of proportional representation in the film/tv industry, pretty sure the is an over representation of minority groups in general, specially black.

The are numerous arguments for not having race fluid characters, but let’s agree it’s just dumb in almost every context bar a select few like dr.who regeneration.

The fix is simply to establish Black superheroes that sell, not to rewrite established characters that are part and parcel of our culture. It’s seen as a poliical statement and breeds animosity, it has the opposite effect of it’s intention of inclusion or whatever artsy fartsy statement it’s trying to make.

I’m still pretty livid about the injection of black people into Norse mythology based heroes, as if the vikings were praying to black deities...it reeks of diversity quota.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    Wakanda is supposed to be in Africa...
    I don't have an issue with the casting of the film, but I'm not sure that stands up as an argument when period dramas set in Europe are criticised for lacking racial diversity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I don't have an issue with the casting of the film, but I'm not sure that stands up as an argument when period dramas set in Europe are criticised for lacking racial diversity.
    Except its meant to be an african nation that no one outside of it has ever seen, completely untouched by colonial powers.

ReputationRep:
    why does race matter?
    Kinda gets on my nerves a bit.

The idea that it is 'overwhelmingly black' is absurd. It is SET in Wakanda, Africa (which has been compared to places like Uganda and Nigeria on websites I found - since Wakanda is not a real place) where the majority of people are black. So it makes sense.
    In scenes where they are in America, there are more white people due to the fact that there are more white people in America than in Africa (stereotypically anyway - I don't know statistics). Like when they went to Korea, there were many Korean actors and actresses in those scenes and there was no upset about that.

I just don't understand why race makes a difference to the success of the movie as a whole. I've never heard anyone majorly complain about movies being overwhelmingly white, so why is it necessary to do it about black people?

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't even register on the stupid **** Jeremy Vine says scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 72nalyomluap)
    So long as they aren’t changing the race of established characters it shouldn’t be an issue, for me anyway.

With that being said there is a reason majority white films are made in white countries, target demographic brings in more revenue. Bit like casting a majority Chinese film in China or an Indian majority for Bollywood.

This film is targeted at a minority group with an majority black cast, regardless of how people pretend they aren’t racist, they are. Most white parents will overlook taking there children for a family day out to this one. Just the way it is, maybe they should market it in Africa?

Also pretty sure black casting doesn’t go over huge in the Asian markets, so that revenue will be nonexistent.
    Just saying, black panther is going to make a ton of money worldwide, and it's already begun.
    ANOTHER WIN FOR MARVEL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Very true. I remember when Christopher Nolan's film Dunkirk was criticised for not having enough ethnic minorities even though Nolan put as many POC as he could without ruining the historical accuracy. People want to change history so that they feel better. Humanity is really going downhill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuggetsofchicken)
    why does race matter?
    Kinda gets on my nerves a bit.

The idea that it is 'overwhelmingly black' is absurd. It is SET in Wakanda, Africa (which has been compared to places like Uganda and Nigeria on websites I found - since Wakanda is not a real place) where the majority of people are black. So it makes sense.
    In scenes where they are in America, there are more white people due to the fact that there are more white people in America than in Africa (stereotypically anyway - I don't know statistics). Like when they went to Korea, there were many Korean actors and actresses in those scenes and there was no upset about that.

I just don't understand why race makes a difference to the success of the movie as a whole. I've never heard anyone majorly complain about movies being overwhelmingly white, so why is it necessary to do it about black people?
    Because black people and white people who are constantly offended on behalf of black people constantly complain about white people, the witcher series was 'too white' yet it was a world that was basically set on polish/slavic themes, Margaret of Anjou a white woman is portrayed as black in another show, people went mad that some film about chinese mythology had a white lead, people got mad at ghost in the shell having a white lead.

You cannot have the argument of "but X is based on Y so it should be primarily black" whilst also saying "You need more blacks in 15th century poland and who cares about historical accuracy".
    (Not that I am saying this is your argument)

I also find it funny that black people think that this is revolutionary and some massive peice of culture for them, it is just another example of "diversity" means less white people
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Certainly a bizarre statement, at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimateradman)
    Just saying, black panther is going to make a ton of money worldwide, and it's already begun.
    ANOTHER WIN FOR MARVEL!
    Maybe, I suspect with the a mainly black cast at risk of alienating athe majority of the population that the film itself will be a labour of love more than an attempt to get bums in seats and well deserving of making huge profits. I doubt it will break top ten grossing films for marvel though and ticket sales will peak at initial release.

As I said, people are inherently racist and the bulk of white parents will probably not take their children to watch an film centralised around an all black cast.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, I suspect with the a mainly black cast at risk of alienating athe majority of the population that the film itself will be a labour of love more than an attempt to get bums in seats and well deserving of making huge profits. I doubt it will break top ten grossing films for marvel though and ticket sales will peak at initial release.

As I said, people are inherently racist and the bulk of white parents will probably not take their children to watch an film centralised around an all black cast.
    I understand what you mean, but by looking at sales it is second to top of the marvel solo films so far.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Must be where you come from. Everyone I know (whatever background they're from) doesn't care at all by the colour of cast. They just want to see the new Marvel film.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

What a spurious load of tosh.

ReputationRep:

What a ridiculous claim.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve seen the movie and as a a black woman I found it very inspiring. If I saw it at a younger age it could have influenced me into STEM professions. If it was a predominantly white cast it would be extremely difficult to relate to. Seeing an ethnic minority as not only a main character but the story itself being about an untouched Africa is inspiring and opens up difficult and interesting questions. That is why it’s done so well at box office because it has a message that is relatable to current society.

Also, this comic was created by Stan Lee during racial tension in America. So it wouldn’t have made sense it being performed by a predominately white cast because the outset of the film is based solely on black empowerment. The casting was special because it not only included accomplished actors but also ones that are “rising stars” in the film industry, so in my opinion it wasn’t stereotypical.

Hope this film will be the start of many other black and ethnic minority films that break records and inspire conversation because I’m growing tired of seeing the same stories over and over again.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wow, people can be funny. I just don't understand why when someone talks about a situation involving black people, white people go on the defensive and try to argue “oh, they did it to us too”.

This is not a competition to show who was more racially discriminated against. It does tell alot about some people though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a lot of people watched it purely for the build up to infinity war to be honest, can't skip any of the marvel movies if you want enjoy IW as much as you can.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.