Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are boxers or briefs really a issue for boys ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I want some advice on this one, my younger brother who is 12 has been asking me in private about his underwear.He has been telling me he wants to wear boxers or boxer briefs not pants/briefs/slips whatever they are called, now I asked him well mom is the best the person to ask on this, he said to me I was afraid mom might say no, so I as his older brother went and spoke to mom. Anyway mom said no she wants him to continue until he a little older wearing briefs, I am 23 and I still wear them and always have done but that is not relevant. I went back to him and told him mom answer, and he seemed upset, I asked why does he not want to wear briefs anymore, I was aware that briefs can lead to teasing in changing rooms, he said no one was doing that, but he said changing for pe and going outside school activities most of the guys of his age don't wear them anymore but that is not a reason to switch ,he said he is comfortable wearing them, so what is the issue? I ,mean I hope is he not getting teased and is just embarrassed to say. He did say the girls sometimes giggle because apparently when he wears he white sports shorts they can see his briefs outline because he wears coloured ones, well dark would be better. I really do not what to do here, I am not going to buy boxers for him and I have told him that as I would get into trouble from mom, as mom has said he has to wear briefs. Do you have any views on this, what is the issue with boxers briefs do kids not wear them anymore. I am going to stay out of this as I think he needs to respect his mom's wishes and live with it, but I would like some experiences and some feedback and thoughts on it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by james parott)
    Hi
    I want some advice on this one, my younger brother who is 12 has been asking me in private about his underwear.He has been telling me he wants to wear boxers or boxer briefs not pants/briefs/slips whatever they are called, now I asked him well mom is the best the person to ask on this, he said to me I was afraid mom might say no, so I as his older brother went and spoke to mom. Anyway mom said no she wants him to continue until he a little older wearing briefs, I am 23 and I still wear them and always have done but that is not relevant. I went back to him and told him mom answer, and he seemed upset, I asked why does he not want to wear briefs anymore, I was aware that briefs can lead to teasing in changing rooms, he said no one was doing that, but he said changing for pe and going outside school activities most of the guys of his age don't wear them anymore but that is not a reason to switch ,he said he is comfortable wearing them, so what is the issue? I ,mean I hope is he not getting teased and is just embarrassed to say. He did say the girls sometimes giggle because apparently when he wears he white sports shorts they can see his briefs outline because he wears coloured ones, well dark would be better. I really do not what to do here, I am not going to buy boxers for him and I have told him that as I would get into trouble from mom, as mom has said he has to wear briefs. Do you have any views on this, what is the issue with boxers briefs do kids not wear them anymore. I am going to stay out of this as I think he needs to respect his mom's wishes and live with it, but I would like some experiences and some feedback and thoughts on it.
    Every year there are threads on this subject. It is ridiculous.

If he wants to wear boxers, then let him. there may be some peer pressure or he may just find them more comfortable. What is your mum afraid of? What single reason is there to suggest why he must wear briefs if he doesnt want to?

It is a ridiculous subject and nothing is lost by letting him have boxers. I cant believe I ever had the issue. I either started myself or asked or stated my preference and that was fine.

ReputationRep:
    I wear pants and I’m 17. Theyre just more comfortable. People do tease if you wear them - but that’s just the joy of being a pre-teen/secondary school student. It will naturally happen, and people eventually grow out of the mocking about underwear. Just tell him to say comebacks like “why you lookin at my ass gay boi”, **** like that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

by 12 I could buy my own bras. the problem is why doesnt he just buy them from m&s himself. I think he should be tested for a mental retardation issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    by 12 I could buy my own bras. the problem is why doesnt he just buy them from m&s himself. I think he should be tested for a mental retardation issue.
    That is not a nice thing to say, is 12 a kid and mom is still buying all his clothes and underwear for him, he does not have money of his own. Mom just wants him to be wearing briefs at the moment and he needs to obey and respect that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by james parott)
    Hi
    Honestly at 12 I think mum should be letting him choose his own underwear, especially if he is showing a clear preference for one. He's reaching the age he should start becoming more independent and where that independence is getting to be a bit of a big deal. Choosing your own underwear is really a pretty basic independence.
    He's clearly unhappy with the current situation and is getting teased for it. Although you shouldn't just give in because of teasing it would make a good time to try out something new.

Maybe you could help him explain it better to mum so he can ask himself. I really don't see that you're mum should care what pants he's wearing at this age. He needs to learn to think and act for himself. And it's kinda difficult to feel independent like that when mum's deciding what pants you can wear.
    I realise that mum is paying for his clothes, but boxers are not crazy expensive and frankly it's her job as a parent to be paying for his clothes. That doesn't mean he can't have some choice in it.

They're just pants, but to him they're growing up and also potentially reducing teasing at school. I would think it appropriate for mum to let him get some and see how they feel. He needs to grow up some time.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.