Turn on thread page Beta

Mature Student - Maths and Double Science self taught in 3 months ? Possible ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi to all, new member here.

I would like to study double Science (iGSCE edexcel) and Maths (iGCSE Higher CIE) with the purpose of studying a HE Access Science this September. Ultimately I would like to study a BSc Psychology starting in 2019. Relocating for the degree is not an option so looking at London Universities with Kings being my preferred choice.

I am looking for some advice from fellow mature students and self study students past and present.

Is it possible to study from scratch for the two iGCSE's in 3 months and obtain an A* in both ? I have until the end of the week to apply and will start studying this or latest next week. According to The distance learning center they state that 200 hours self study is required for their Edexcel iGCSE course and 400 hours for the double Science.

If indeed this is the case then 600hrs of study over the next 91 days is 6.6 hours a day. While I have the time this sounds like a lot to me for 2 GCSEs or am I fooling myself into thinking less time will be required ?

Regarding the Maths iGCSE - I have the choice of entering for the CIE iGCSE or the AQA GCSE - would one or the other be preferable or more suited to home study or a mature student ?

I would be very grateful also if any students could point me in the direction of what text books to get. Do I need the full syllabus or just the revision guides ? Any other resources required or tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sully,

Can’t really comment on the maths but I wondered if you had considered the open university given that you are bound to a particular location.

Good luck, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable about maths GCSEs will be along shortly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sully Monster)

I would like to study double Science (iGSCE edexcel) and Maths (iGCSE Higher CIE) with the purpose of studying a HE Access Science this September. Ultimately I would like to study a BSc Psychology starting in 2019. Relocating for the degree is not an option so looking at London Universities with Kings being my preferred choice.

I am looking for some advice from fellow mature students and self study students past and present.

Is it possible to study from scratch for the two iGCSE's in 3 months and obtain an A* in both ? I have until the end of the week to apply and will start studying this or latest next week. According to The distance learning center they state that 200 hours self study is required for their Edexcel iGCSE course and 400 hours for the double Science.

If indeed this is the case then 600hrs of study over the next 91 days is 6.6 hours a day. While I have the time this sounds like a lot to me for 2 GCSEs or am I fooling myself into thinking less time will be required ?

Regarding the Maths iGCSE - I have the choice of entering for the CIE iGCSE or the AQA GCSE - would one or the other be preferable or more suited to home study or a mature student ?

I would be very grateful also if any students could point me in the direction of what text books to get. Do I need the full syllabus or just the revision guides ? Any other resources required or tips would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes, but depends how bright and how much work you put in. If you are in the UK then I would probably do AQA as more directly available support books to buy as its one of the main boards. Look up the specs though and see which format you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sully Monster)

Thanks in advance.
    You would be getting 3 IGCSEs. One in Mathematics, one in Core Science and one in Additional Science. It would be 200hours of work for each IGCSE you take. I'm not sure how likely it is you would get an A* (you would also need to allow time to revise) but if you are very able in maths and science, you should definetly go for it!! If you think you might struggle to get the top grades, you can always take them next year and give yourself more time to study instead. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

I would consider myself fairly bright but my only reservation is being out of the habit of studying. I sat my GCSEs a very long time ago and then got kicked out of A Levels for a poor attendance and application and have not studied in the traditional fashion since. GCSE's grades were not bad considering I had the same carefree attitude I had when studying for my A-levels, English (A&B) History, Geography and RE (B) Maths, IT (C) and shamefully a D in single Science. I had no interest in Science as a child and it was taught quite poorly at my school.

Yes I have considered the OU for the Psychology degree but would prefer to attend physically in a bricks and mortar uni, although I haven't discounted it yet. I will just have to see how I get along with the GCSEs and HE Access.

I would have thought that the revision and learning intensively would merge into one ? or at least having the benefit of not needing as much revision time with the information being fairly recently learned ?

ReputationRep:
    I have paid and entered for the double Science (iGSCE edexcel) and Maths (GCSE Higher AQA) at two separate centers in London. Do administration costs have to be so astronomically high ?!

Now its time to accumulate some study resources. The plan so far is CPG revision books to learn inside and out and past papers. Can anyone recommend any other essentials that I would need to consider ?

Regarding the CPG books for double science, do you purchase all 3 individual subjects or is there a book specifically for double science ?

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.