Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing my GCSEs this year, so this is irrelevant at the moment, but out of interest, which of the following degrees would best suit me? At the moment I am currently interested in becoming a barrister, diplomat (or something to do with the civil service) or possibly even a forensic linguist, although I know it's quite niche.

My current GCSE options are:

English Literature
    English Language
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geography
    Spanish
    French
    Drama

And my best subjects are Maths, English Language, French and Spanish.

At A-Level, I want to do Spanish and Maths, and then two of French, English Language, Physics, FM, Chemistry and Economics based on the degree I decide to persue.

The degrees I currently have in mind are -

- Modern Languages
    - Mathematics
    - Linguistics (or Linguistics with/and Modern Langauges)

Both languages and mathematics are my passion, but I don't know which to take to degree level. Linguistics is an interesting combination of the two, but is it a little useless for careers later on(even at a prestigious uni)?

I know I don't need to know any of this now, but I find this planning ahead and stuff really interesting woops ahaha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Applications and UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Moved to Applications and UCAS
    Oh thank you! I don't know much about forums for university posts ahah
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    Oh thank you! I don't know much about forums for university posts ahah
    No problem. Gives me something to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    No problem. Gives me something to do.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest history, its a nice subject that universities like to see. It's easy and more worthwhile than Drama as drama has nothing to do with what you want to be when you're older. In fairness I would suggest that you take easier subjects for GCSEs. Trust me it's not worth it to stress at this level for a few subjects that most universities won't care about. If you want to go into the sciences then it will be beneficial for you to do triple science.

Could explain what you want to do for A level again? I'm not sure what you're deciding to pick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooschool4cool)
    I'm choosing my GCSEs this year, so this is irrelevant at the moment, but out of interest, which of the following degrees would best suit me? At the moment I am currently interested in becoming a barrister, diplomat (or something to do with the civil service) or possibly even a forensic linguist, although I know it's quite niche.

My current GCSE options are:

English Literature
    English Language
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Geography
    Spanish
    French
    Drama

And my best subjects are Maths, English Language, French and Spanish.

At A-Level, I want to do Spanish and Maths, and then two of French, English Language, Physics, FM, Chemistry and Economics based on the degree I decide to persue.

The degrees I currently have in mind are -

- Modern Languages
    - Mathematics
    - Linguistics (or Linguistics with/and Modern Langauges)

Both languages and mathematics are my passion, but I don't know which to take to degree level. Linguistics is an interesting combination of the two, but is it a little useless for careers later on(even at a prestigious uni)?

I know I don't need to know any of this now, but I find this planning ahead and stuff really interesting woops ahaha
    What do you want to get out of university? Do you want to study something you enjoy but won't necessarily directly lead into a relevant career? Remember that most employers ask for 'any degree' for most generalist graduate jobs/schemes. Or do you want to study something you think is likely to be directly relevant to a job afterwards?

To be a barrister you need law. To join the civil service in general (e.g. the fast stream) any degree will suffice, but perhaps look at something with relevance to policy - e.g. politics, international relations, economics, geography etc.

There are other options for the combinations you mention. For instance, have you thought about looking at language and business?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Robot)
    I would suggest history, its a nice subject that universities like to see. It's easy and more worthwhile than Drama as drama has nothing to do with what you want to be when you're older. In fairness I would suggest that you take easier subjects for GCSEs. Trust me it's not worth it to stress at this level for a few subjects that most universities won't care about. If you want to go into the sciences then it will be beneficial for you to do triple science.

Could explain what you want to do for A level again? I'm not sure what you're deciding to pick.
    I like history as a subject, but the topics covered at GCSE I find extremely boring. I also find essay writing time consuming and difficult, so I have decided not to do it. While I am aware Drama is a soft subject, I love it and my teacher has said that if anyone in my year would get a 9 in GCSE Drama, it would be me. I would take another academic subject because RS looks really interesting, but if I only got one 9, it would be in Drama. As for my other subjects, I've chosen them because I am extremely passionate about them and couldn't bear not seeing them
    on my timetable. I haven't chosen them
    to please admissions tutors I just really love the subjects!!

As for my A-Level choices, If I choose to do a Languages degree, I would take Maths, FM/English Language, Spanish and French. If I chose Maths, I would do Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry/Spanish. If I chose Linguistics I would do Maths, English Language, Spanish and French/Physics. There is also the possibility of Law, For which I would choose Maths, Spanish Economics and then FM/French/Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    What do you want to get out of university? Do you want to study something you enjoy but won't necessarily directly lead into a relevant career? Remember that most employers ask for 'any degree' for most generalist graduate jobs/schemes. Or do you want to study something you think is likely to be directly relevant to a job afterwards?

To be a barrister you need law. To join the civil service in general (e.g. the fast stream) any degree will suffice, but perhaps look at something with relevance to policy - e.g. politics, international relations, economics, geography etc.

There are other options for the combinations you mention. For instance, have you thought about looking at language and business?
    Business doesn't really interest me, it seems stressful and boring. I want to study something that I love at university, but I still want to be able to go into a job that I love. If I ended up in the civil service I would hopefully be working in the FCO, so language skills would be needed/useful. I absolutely LOVE maths (I'm on half term at the moment and I keep asking my mum to give me Maths to do when I'm bored) but I also really like languages and learning them, etc. A lot of people say linguistics would be a good choice for me, but do you think it would be best to do a Maths degree, and continue languages as a hobby on the side?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.