Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I created a post before to gather feedback upon my GCSEs hindering me from a top uni such as Oxford. From that post, I have gathered that Cambridge seem to care less about GCSEs as opposed to Oxford.

I would like to provide context to that post by explaining the reasons I had for my GCSE results and education in general, All I need to known is if any of these events would be classified as "Extenuating" circumstances for a Uni such as Cambridge.

I come from abroad so when Moving to the UK I got moved to London, In London I started to read and write in Year 4 and I was always behind on class due to the difficulty of me adapting to a new education system combined with the fact I was in the 4th year, to make matters worse, my year group from my previous country was Year 4, And the school ended up moving me to Year 5 as the school thought that I was a year older when in actuality I wasn't as it was hard to transalate the year group from my previous school, this event has effected me to this date, I left school at the age of 15 as opposed to 16, meaning I have taken my GCSEs a year early (ill elaborate on this later)

My parents did not understand the importance of education so nobody really confirmed with the school and because of this I had to also take my SATS early, as a kid with only 3 years of experience with the new education system, I missed basic content that every other child had to learn in Year 1-4. I ended up doing very badly in my SATS and due to this I was moved on to foundations in Year 7.

I had moved from many different locations over and over, and I eventually switched schools when I moved from London, My parents told the new school that I was meant to be in Year 6, The school assumed as I did SATS I would be in Year 7, all of these features demotivated me from education. I would constantly move houses Every 2-3 years due to parents' intereasts changing, but I would still travel to the same school from Year 7 to 11.

Our school was not known for having outstanding GCSE results but there were some students who achieved good results with half of the year doing failing, even when I did well in my year exams from Y7-9 I would still be in foundations and the school would not let me take highers. This trend carried over from Y7-9 and at my GCSEs I had to take foundations at Science, I wasn't allowed to do higher subjects and this trend demotivated me further.

I was predicted Ds and Cs at my GCSE subjects as the demotivation simply caused me to not care about education in general.

My family suddenly started to care about education in Y11 and two weeks before the exams I attempted to reach the basic A level requirements. I got 5 GCSES, A-C however I am in the process of retaking English alongside my A levels so I can get a 9 in it.

I am currently studying Socialogy, English lit, and RE in Year 12, I fully believe I can get an A* at all 3 of the subjects as I am currently getting close to full marks on every single essay question. I know the difficulty and I am willing to revise 10 hours daily to achieve this goal (basically do anything) I believe I have talent and potential to reach the top and I am enjoying A levels.

As I said before, because I took my GCSEs a year early due to me being a year ahead since Year 4, this is because when I came to the UK an error within the system occured caused my age to be written monthes in advance, my actual birthday is december whilst the system processed it as January 2001 as opposed to December.

It is a very complex and stupid mistake but that mistake caused me to take everything a year early, I have got my birth certifcate as evidence but my Sixith Form reccomendes that I take a gap year after my A levels in order to go Uni at the correct age.

So overall, me taking everything a year early, combined with the fact that I missed out on education, moved schools, houses and locations, would all those factors be considered as "Extenuating circumstances", I am considering to take a 4th a level so I can achieve A*A*A*A*, If I have a great personal statement, a great interview as well as great grades at A level, with my "Extenuating" circumstances being the reason for my GCSES, will I be considered a worthy a applicant for Oxford or Cambridge? Of course my main question is if these factors are considered "Extenuating". Thank you for taking the time to read this, It is just I want to focus on my A levels but I am worried my GCSEs will hold me back.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by User1591)
    I created a post before to gather feedback upon my GCSEs hindering me from a top uni such as Oxford. From that post, I have gathered that Cambridge seem to care less about GCSEs as opposed to Oxford.

I would like to provide context to that post by explaining the reasons I had for my GCSE results and education in general, All I need to known is if any of these events would be classified as "Extenuating" circumstances for a Uni such as Cambridge.
    Simply read what Cambridge says:
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....umstances-form

Remembering that, as you've been told already, your GCSEs aren't the most important factor anyway.

Also, apply to the course you are most interested in, not the admissions process. If you prefer the Oxford course apply to Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Simply read what Cambridge says:
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....umstances-form

Remembering that, as you've been told already, your GCSEs aren't the most important factor anyway.

Also, apply to the course you are most interested in, not the admissions process. If you prefer the Oxford course apply to Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok, Thanks for the reply!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.