Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer to go to a university in the city and not a campus (i.e. on its own) uni, or a uni within a town that is so small it might as well not be there.

I went to Durham for an open day and I just found the city far too small and quiet; the uni might well have been a campus uni. I have heard that Cambridge is somewhat similar to this (I haven't been); is this true? Is Cambridge dwarfed by the university ? (compared to Oxford, where the uni is within the town, rather than the other way around?)

thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by frantika)
    I would prefer to go to a university in the city and not a campus (i.e. on its own) uni, or a uni within a town that is so small it might as well not be there.

I went to Durham for an open day and I just found the city far too small and quiet; the uni might well have been a campus uni. I have heard that Cambridge is somewhat similar to this (I haven't been); is this true? Is Cambridge dwarfed by the university ? (compared to Oxford, where the uni is within the town, rather than the other way around?)

thanks
    Cambridge
    United Kingdom Census 2011, the city's population was 123867, including 24488 understudies.

Durham

Students

ReputationRep:
    Durham is significantly smaller in feel and in fact. If you want a real city, aim for Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Durham is significantly smaller in feel and in fact. If you want a real city, aim for Bristol.
    ye I liked Bristol a lot, but sadly there course for the subject I'm doing isn't great. I'll still apply tho
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by frantika)

thanks
    From spending a night or two in both, Durham and Cambridge (and Oxford) are quite similar in the way the university inter-weaves with the city. The university is everywhere. And it's spread out. As is the nature of collegiate unis I find. The universities have been there as long as the cities have, so it's difficult to look at one without the other.

Cambridge is certainly a lot bigger than Durham, as is the university.

You're probably best visiting Cam yourself and getting your own sense of the place.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.