Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I have recently been offered a position to work as a physicist in a defence company, which I am very grateful for.

The role starts in September so I have time to prepare for it, however I'm also quite nervous as I have no experience in working before. I'm worried that I would be overwhelmed in the job and eventually get sacked for not making satisfactory progress. Is anyone else feeling the same or am I being ridiculous thinking about this before I have even started the job?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by EWSW104)
    Not sure if this is the correct place to post but I have recently been offered a position to work as a physicist in a defence company, which I am very grateful for.

The role starts in September so I have time to prepare for it, however I'm also quite nervous as I have no experience in working before. I'm worried that I would be overwhelmed in the job and eventually get sacked for not making satisfactory progress. Is anyone else feeling the same or am I being ridiculous thinking about this before I have even started the job?

Congratulations. Why not ask them if you could do 2-5 days work experience so you get a feel for the place or ask them if theres anything you cna do to prepare. tell them you are very much looking forward to starting, but would welcome any tips to make sure you are well prepared.

Ps I think you are worrying too much.

You could also ask to be put in contact with anyone who has already done the scheme and take them to lunch then pick their brains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Congratulations. Why not ask them if you could do 2-5 days work experience so you get a feel for the place or ask them if theres anything you cna do to prepare. tell them you are very much looking forward to starting, but would welcome any tips to make sure you are well prepared.

Ps I think you are worrying too much.

You could also ask to be put in contact with anyone who has already done the scheme and take them to lunch then pick their brains.
    Thank you!

I don't think the 2-5 days work experience is feasible as I live quite far aware from the company, so that's out of the window. Your suggestion for me to be put in contact with someone who's previously gone through the scheme seems great though! I think I'll email them and see what they say. Although I'm not too hopeful as I think they would not tell me due to confidentiality issues, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by EWSW104)
    Thank you!

I don't think the 2-5 days work experience is feasible as I live quite far aware from the company, so that's out of the window. Your suggestion for me to be put in contact with someone who's previously gone through the scheme seems great though! I think I'll email them and see what they say. Although I'm not too hopeful as I think they would not tell me due to confidentiality issues, but it doesn't hurt to try.
    If youve signed your contract, then i cnat see the problem. You could always ask for an early start or just eb put in contact with your department or colleagues. Honestly I think you are just worrying and should enjoy your holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If youve signed your contract, then i cnat see the problem. You could always ask for an early start or just eb put in contact with your department or colleagues. Honestly I think you are just worrying and should enjoy your holiday.
    That's true. I may as well enjoy the last bit of my freedom while I still have it. Thanks again!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.