Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I am a 3rd year Biomedical Science student and I recently got rejected from all of my 4 choices to study medicine in the UK. I'm thinking of applying again next year but I'm not sure whether I should try the UKCAT again or aim for the GAMSAT for the GEM program.

I only have 2 months to prepare for the GAMSAT and I'm not sure if they are enough. Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Do both
    I did all three entry tests last year and applied to one uni requiring each of them (got a guaranteed interview for the last option).
    If you’re not ready to take the GAMSAT in March then take it in September - although you won’t know how you’ve performed when applying for medicine.
    GAMSAT is used by Cardiff Undergrad if you were looking for undergrad programmes.
    If you’re a UK student SFE will only fund the GEM - I only found this out after submitting my application this year 😒
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NMauger96)
    Do both
    I did all three entry tests last year and applied to one uni requiring each of them (got a guaranteed interview for the last option).
    If you’re not ready to take the GAMSAT in March then take it in September - although you won’t know how you’ve performed when applying for medicine.
    GAMSAT is used by Cardiff Undergrad if you were looking for undergrad programmes.
    If you’re a UK student SFE will only fund the GEM - I only found this out after submitting my application this year 😒
    How did you find the GAMSAT? I'm thinking of doing it in September and will prepare June-July-August. You think its enough?

Thanks for the reply btw

ReputationRep:
    I didn’t find the GAMSAT too horrid and scored a decent mark but on the test day everyone said they found it horrible.
    I think it comes down to preparation and having other tests (UKCAT and BMAT) to rely on if it goes wrong.
    I’d recommend using the Gold Standard GAMSAT website and watching their monthly free webinars to start with.
    I watched two or three of their webinars, went to a free evening session at Imperial with the guy who wrote the book, bought the science flash cards, and went through one set of practice questions from the Acer website

Three months is more than enough time to study as long as you make the most of it - maybe try an hour or two a week to see how it goes

Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.