Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

mental help watch

Announcements

I've been depressed and highly anxious for quite a while.

Unfortunately my parents don't really understand and think that it's just a phase, or that it's normal to feel this way every so often ( they don't know I've felt like this for 5 years), so what should i do about it.

I am 15, so still at school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Unfortunately my parents don't really understand and think that it's just a phase, or that it's normal to feel this way every so often ( they don't know I've felt like this for 5 years), so what should i do about it.

Whilst it can be quite normal to have feelings of this at your age, it doesn't mean that you don't have depression and anxiety. Having said that you've been feeling this way for years, I'd definitely suggest that you go to your GP, or if you have a mental health person at your school to them. Doing this, it may help your parents to understand that it's not just something you're feeling right now, but something that you recognise and get some help with.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Hi there. Sorry you're having a hard time.
    Your parents are half right: it can be normal to go through phases of feeling depressed, stressed or otherwise mentally overwhelmed (exams are a common time for young people feeling stressed out), and it can also be normal to feel like that from time to time- everybody feels sad or stressed out at some point.
    But just because that's a thing that can happen it doesn't mean you should accept or ignore how you're feeling. Youth is also a time you can develop mental health issues like depression and even if it is just a phase feeling depressed is not at all pleasant and getting support can be a real help.

Most people will have an infection at some pint in their life and it's normally nothing to make a big fuss over, but still people should be sympathetic that they aren't feeling well at the time and if it's difficult to cope with you should see a pharmacist or doctor for some help with it.
    No different with mental health issues. It can be quite normal, it may well pass by itself over time, but it still really sucks and if you are struggling with it you should totally seek some support.

As far as that support goes a good place to start is with some sites like mind.org, sane.org and childline and a bit of research online. It can be difficult to understand the thoughts and feelings going on in your head so doing a bit of research can help put it into context and you can also find some decent advice on some things you can do to improve how you feel a bit. It may not fix the issue, but it's good stuff to try and usually helps either by itself or when combined with treatments like therapy.

A good next step is talking to your GP. They have access to helpful advice and services and can give you an idea of who you can see for things like counselling or therapy. They can also discuss some other possibilities with you or refer you to other people if necessary.

The main thing I would suggest is getting some counselling or therapy. You can usually access that through your school, GP or by self referral on the NHS so you can look into those options. Counselling and therapy help you to explore how you're feeling and where those feelings are coming from. Once you have an idea of what the issue is you can look at ways of reducing that and working past it.

Something else you might want to consider is explaining things a bit to your family. It's difficult to understand mental health issues if you haven't experienced one so if you can give them as much to work with as possible it should help them a bit. You don't have to say it if you don't want to and you don't have to go into more detail than you're comfortable with. You could try writing down a few things and giving it to them to read or finding some info online for them to have a look at.
    It's always easier when people around you understand a bit what you're going through, but you don't need them to get support. You can talk to your GP and school by yourself so even if they don't understand very well that is still something you can do.

You might also like to mention it to your school. Again, you only have to say what you're comfortable with, but it can help if they know cos they can try to make things a bit less stressful for you at school.

Here's a link from childline. I know it might feel a bit young for you, but it can be really helpful cos it's targeted at young people and explains things like what happens with doctors and parents and those sorts of more unique issues with young people. You can also contact childline any time you like if you want to. You can talk to them by phone or online, it's free and confidential and they're there to support you with whatever is bothering you.
    https://www.childline.org.uk/info-ad...mental-health/

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the support 😊
    my school is actually pretty useless but I will try and find a way to get help, I want this to end xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.