Turn on thread page Beta

Musicians, I need your help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I a senior in high school and I've been teaching myself to play the guitar. I have a classical guitar but I'm more into fingerstyle like Sungha Jung or Tommy Emmanuel. Now I feel like I am at a standstill, like I'm not progressing. For now I've only been reading tabs made by other guitarists (I don't know how to read guitar sheet music) and I have written an arrangement for Perfect - Ed Sheeran but it's pretty bad.

I was wondering if any of you had tips for writing arrangements or simply improving guitar skills.

I want to learn how to improvise, solos, jazz, blues and I'm guessing music theory would be the way to go, so if you guys have book recommendations, websites or anything that would be cool.

I'm also thinking about getting and acoustic guitar or electric guitar as my second guitar. Which would you recommend and what brands.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on youtube or/and get various guitar music books.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tbh you don't need to understand music theory for solos etc. Learn the modes (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aoelian and Lochrian), their shapes, order and the linking notes for each - play around with those and you'll find solos start to make sense, don't need to understand why the modes are what they are.

As for improving - no substitution for constant practice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a drummer who's into music production/sound engineering and recently i've been trying to learn music theory (I took music A-Level and failed miserably except for the performance coursework). Anyway, a book that i'm actually have some joy with is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theory-Comp.../dp/1598635034 It explains music theory in an understandable and logical way, pretty sure it includes guitar tabs (ss well as the traditional notation) for some of the things covered as well in terms of scales and intervals etc. Looking at getting the book on harmony created by the same author once I finish one.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.