Turn on thread page Beta

I was born in Ontario, Canada and so was my mom and dad. But my mom's mother was born in Croatia making her and me Slavic. As a history buff I absolutely hate my ethnicity, yugoslavics have accomplished little to nothing interesting in history, the language is super annoying, the countries are poor, and the people are ugly. When someone asks me my heritage I always avoid it and say I am a Canadian and Hungarian (where my dad's parents are born). My question is,why is it so bad to hate your ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    You shpuld go to Croatia. Amazing country with a rich culture dating back centuries. Every ethinicy has its fair share of idiots. Doesn't mean we're all idiots. You have more to be proud of than ashamed.

Which reminds me that I need to go back sometime.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, interesting subject you brought up.

Personally, there are many things that I dislike about where I come from. Don't get me wrong; I love my country, however there are some things I'd like to change and things that I would like to be different. This includes some stereotypes and prejudices and although my country isn't the richest, having learned some of the history and immersed myself in the culture, I doubt you'd find a greater patriot than me. (Patriot not nationalist). Ethnicity is obviously something that we cannot change. This might seem frustrating, but I believe it's all a matter of perspective. I'd like to think that my background is a blessing - part of my identity really. I think that you should look at yourself in the same way. If you truly believe that nobody from the same ethnicity as you has accomplished anything worthy of recognition surely that must be an incentive for you to be the first one to do so and bring pride to your country, no?

N.B. Having simply typed Croatia in my search engine, I already know it's a place that you should not belittle. Therefore, I encourage you to take a closer look at your background - speaking to your mother perhaps may give you somewhat of an insight.

Again, I believe you should treat your ethnicity as a blessing, not a curse no matter where you come from. At the end of the day, we are all humans who have success undoubtedly heading our way if we really do choose to pursue our dreams. So, even if you never come to terms with your ethnicity, at least don't look as it an inconvenience or a drawback. This goes for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igorzycho)
    Hey, interesting subject you brought up.

Personally, there are many things that I dislike about where I come from. Don't get me wrong; I love my country, however there are some things I'd like to change and things that I would like to be different. This includes some stereotypes and prejudices and although my country isn't the richest, having learned some of the history and immersed myself in the culture, I doubt you'd find a greater patriot than me. (Patriot not nationalist). Ethnicity is obviously something that we cannot change. This might seem frustrating, but I believe it's all a matter of perspective. I'd like to think that my background is a blessing - part of my identity really. I think that you should look at yourself in the same way. If you truly believe that nobody from the same ethnicity as you has accomplished anything worthy of recognition surely that must be an incentive for you to be the first one to do so and bring pride to your country, no?

N.B. Having simply typed Croatia in my search engine, I already know it's a place that you should not belittle. Therefore, I encourage you to take a closer look at your background - speaking to your mother perhaps may give you somewhat of an insight.

Again, I believe you should treat your ethnicity as a blessing, not a curse no matter where you come from. At the end of the day, we are all humans who have success undoubtedly heading our way if we really do choose to pursue our dreams. So, even if you never come to terms with your ethnicity, at least don't look as it an inconvenience or a drawback. This goes for everybody.
    I talked to my mother about it and she said it's "sad" that I don't like Croatia. She told me all of the stuff she knows about the country but it's stuff I already dislike. I don't think I will ever come to like being Slavic, I'm just gonna have to live with it

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.