Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Student Finance for Sept 18 start and was a little puzzled by how little information I needed to give.
    I previously applied for the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan to cover course fees whilst studying an access course so I'm assuming details have been taken from that application. However I'm concerned that the information won't be accurate now.
    My current situation is that I'm 30 (I'll be 31 upon starting my degree) and have recently moved back to my parents. They have agreed I can stay there whilst studying so I don't have added stress about keeping a roof over my head. However I am completely independent of them and support myself financially, also helping out with some of the running costs at my parents.
    So basically I'm trying to find out what I'll be entitled to. I am applying for the maintenance loan and the higher maintenance loan as I won't be working and this will be my only source of income.
    On my application I have stated living with parents and that the loan would be my only source of income.
    I was then expecting lots more questions in relation to finances however I only have a declaration to sign and return.
    Does this seem correct for my circumstances?
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Hannahew30)
    I'm applying for Student Finance for Sept 18 start and was a little puzzled by how little information I needed to give.
    I previously applied for the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan to cover course fees whilst studying an access course so I'm assuming details have been taken from that application. However I'm concerned that the information won't be accurate now.
    My current situation is that I'm 30 (I'll be 31 upon starting my degree) and have recently moved back to my parents. They have agreed I can stay there whilst studying so I don't have added stress about keeping a roof over my head. However I am completely independent of them and support myself financially, also helping out with some of the running costs at my parents.
    So basically I'm trying to find out what I'll be entitled to. I am applying for the maintenance loan and the higher maintenance loan as I won't be working and this will be my only source of income.
    On my application I have stated living with parents and that the loan would be my only source of income.
    I was then expecting lots more questions in relation to finances however I only have a declaration to sign and return.
    Does this seem correct for my circumstances?
    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Hi Hannahhew30,

In your circumstances, the application shouldn't actually ask too many questions with regards to financial details. As you're over 25, you're automatically classed as independent so your parents financial details won't be included. If you don't have a partner and you indicate this on the application, the maintenance loan amount will be based solely on your details, but when it's the students income we only include 'unearned income' (Things like rent being paid to you, interest, dividends), this means the application won't actually ask you about wages.

Just to be sure though, it is possible that you may have applied for the non means tested amount (the lower amount), this is another reason you may have came across a lot less questions than you expected.

If I can just ask, was the amount you were awarded close to £4054 or was it much higher?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    It stated for the higher up to around £5000. I've just been on to check and it looks like I've been approved as there is a payment schedule on there. I'll send back the declaration once printed and hopefully that will be it.
    Thank you for your help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.