Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Generally beep and flash until they get the point and move in.
    I try to avoid this as more often than not you just end up provoking road rage, undertaking seems a little less likely to do this but still upsets a few and the highway code isn't all that clear on it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by the beer)
    I try to avoid this as more often than not you just end up provoking road rage, undertaking seems a little less likely to do this but still upsets a few and the highway code isn't all that clear on it.
    At the end of the day, they need to move over. Some people don't realise what they're doing, but in the vast majority of cases they get the message... it's only occasionally do they stay where they are, at which point I'll then undertake (although it's technically not undertaking unless you end up in the same lane after passing).

A flash of the lights or a beep of the horn (which is the reason we have a horn) is often safer than undertaking.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, they need to move over. Some people don't realise what they're doing, but in the vast majority of cases they get the message... it's only occasionally do they stay where they are, at which point I'll then undertake (although it's technically not undertaking unless you end up in the same lane after passing).

A flash of the lights or a beep of the horn (which is the reason we have a horn) is often safer than undertaking.
    I mean those are specifically for letting people know where you are so yea (fairly sure that is in the HWC btw @the beer), I don't like using my horn, even when people cut me up, but if I'm behind you, the lights turn green and you don't move because you're looking at your phone, you're getting the horn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    (fairly sure that is in the HWC btw @the beer),
    Undertaking lane hoggers? Don't think so. Say's undertaking is legally acceptable but talks about in congested conditions and when vehicle in front is signalling to turn right.

ReputationRep:
    It should be and it's what i used to do but had way to many scary experiences with other drivers getting road rage from simply using my horn at the appropriate moment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It should be and it's what i used to do but had way to many scary experiences with other drivers getting road rage from simply using my horn at the appropriate moment.
    Stand up for yourself, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Stand up for yourself, mate.
    Don't have any problem standing up for myself, i just prefer to avoid having some **** throwing bottles at me from their car or trying to run me off the road and following me home.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't have any problem standing up for myself, i just prefer to avoid having some **** throwing bottles at me from their car or trying to run me off the road and following me home.
    Can't say that's ever happened to me when I've flashed someone for hogging a lane, to be honest - other reasons perhaps, but not for this.

ReputationRep:
    Undertaking lane hoggers? Don't think so. Say's undertaking is legally acceptable but talks about in congested conditions and when vehicle in front is signalling to turn right.
    It doesn't say anything about what is 'legally acceptable'. The rules of the highway code do not have the force of law.

Provisions in the Highway Code that point to specific legal requirements begin with MUST or MUST NOT

ReputationRep:
    I mean did you read my post lol, how does that in any way constitute letting people know where you are on the road.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I hope you know what that means... That means when the other lanes have slowed down on your right, you may continue to do the speed of your lane.

Check this out: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q891.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    I hope you know what that means... That means when the other lanes have slowed down on your right, you may continue to do the speed of your lane.

Check this out: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q891.htm
    Yeah i got that, but that doesn't seem to clear up whether it's acceptable to undertake a lane hogger or not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah i got that, but that doesn't seem to clear up whether it's acceptable to undertake a lane hogger or not.
    I'd say that'd probably be a "legal grey area". But, as long as you did it safely (if they were on the outside lane), I don't see the problem in it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.