Turn on thread page Beta

Should I stay at school for one more year? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    Fingers crossed that it will. I can speak to those who work on ships when I am on my next one in July.
    Aww hope that will help. Good luck with it all I’m sure you will do well and will work out all in the end
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well, you are a bit of a pessimist aren't you?
    It's not as if I haven't been told by people that at uni you would meet more like-minded people. I am prepared to put myself out there. Also, being gay means that having an LGBT society at university will greatly help in terms of friends. I have lived in my town for 16 years, too many people are idiots that I don't want to associate with. "Neds" or "Chavs" as English people might say.

Plus, you do realize that most people go to uni? Why not get a degree? You aren't being helpful, just being critical.
    I'm not being critical (nor am I a pessimist) its just the only real reason you have given to go to uni is for the 'uni life' and because you want a degree (which isnt really a reason) and the former is one of the main reasons why people either regret what degree they do or drop out

But if you want to go for it and do a degree for the sake of it go for it dude! I imagine you'll be one of the people that post on here in the future about either

1. I did a degree because it was the easy option and now cant get into the career I really want to do because that requires a different degree
    2. I havent made any friends at uni but people told me it would be easy

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    I'm not being critical (nor am I a pessimist) its just the only real reason you have given to go to uni is for the 'uni life' and because you want a degree (which isnt really a reason) and the former is one of the main reasons why people either regret what degree they do or drop out

But if you want to go for it and do a degree for the sake of it go for it dude! I imagine you'll be one of the people that post on here in the future about either

1. I did a degree because it was the easy option and now cant get into the career I really want to do because that requires a different degree
    2. I havent made any friends at uni but people told me it would be easy

good luck!
    Thanks sweetie. So, what else would I do with the next 5 years of my life then? If you picture me to be that much of a failure, then you should suggest something else.

ReputationRep:
    Moving on from the less than helpful feedback in a couple of previous posts, has anyone else got anything to say? Been in my position before?

ReputationRep:
    Moving on from the less than helpful feedback in a couple of previous posts, has anyone else got anything to say? Been in my position before?
    Ignore the negative comments you will work it out. No one knows how you feel we can only imagine. As I’m thinking about it in my position that when I get a job I hope I make lots of friends from that x

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into seasonal work like being a holiday rep? Relevant work experience in the hospitality field would definitely help if you want to have a career in it. You only have to be 18, though some places you need to be 21.

Though you do have to be 21 to work on a most cruise ships, it is possible to get work on them from 18. It’s worth a look! https://www.gapyear.com/articles/904...n-cruise-ships

University wise, look into travel and tourism degrees, or maybe hospitality management? Those would be relevant to what you want to do. Maybe try and learn a second language too, it would be useful if you’re travelling internationally.

Finish high school, then either get relevant work until you’re 21 or go to uni and study in a related subject.

Try not to be snobby regarding jobs, especially if you just have A levels. There’s no shame in working your way up, or working with companies that aren’t huge and famous. It’ll take a long time and a lot of luck if you only focus on one company to work for rather than the job/career you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Have you looked into seasonal work like being a holiday rep? Relevant work experience in the hospitality field would definitely help if you want to have a career in it. You only have to be 18, though some places you need to be 21.

Though you do have to be 21 to work on a most cruise ships, it is possible to get work on them from 18. It’s worth a look! https://www.gapyear.com/articles/904...n-cruise-ships

University wise, look into travel and tourism degrees, or maybe hospitality management? Those would be relevant to what you want to do. Maybe try and learn a second language too, it would be useful if you’re travelling internationally.

Finish high school, then either get relevant work until you’re 21 or go to uni and study in a related subject.

Try not to be snobby regarding jobs, especially if you just have A levels. There’s no shame in working your way up, or working with companies that aren’t huge and famous. It’ll take a long time and a lot of luck if you only focus on one company to work for rather than the job/career you want.
    I cannot start as Cruise Director, have to start as entertainment staff then Assistant and then finally to CD. If I put my mind to it, my goal would be to make it after 5 years with the company. I only really want to work for Royal Caribbean as they have the best ships, best opportunities and I vaguely know many of the people who work in that division on the ships anyway.

If I get the necessary qualifications this year (Highers = Scottish A-Levels), then should I stick around for next year? That is the whole purpose of this thread, as I am not happy at school anymore and need a fresh start in my life.

Thanks for the other advice, I will have a look into it.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot start as Cruise Director, have to start as entertainment staff then Assistant and then finally to CD. If I put my mind to it, my goal would be to make it after 5 years with the company. I only really want to work for Royal Caribbean as they have the best ships, best opportunities and I vaguely know many of the people who work in that division on the ships anyway.

If I get the necessary qualifications this year (Highers = Scottish A-Levels), then should I stick around for next year? That is the whole purpose of this thread, as I am not happy at school anymore and need a fresh start in my life.

Thanks for the other advice, I will have a look into it.
    It depends if you do want to go to uni, I don’t know much about the Scottish system but I assume you need to have all the school qualifications?

I know how it feels to be stuck in a crappy town where all you want to do is leave, and if you think it’ll be better for you to get out I totally get that. And it really isn’t the end of the world not having Alevels/highers!

I’d seriously look into seasonal work. Loads of people do the summer season somewhere hot and winter in ski lodges, get you plenty experience working in hospitality, meet loads of people and you get to travel! It’s the best change you can get from your town and sounds like the most fun option to me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    It depends if you do want to go to uni, I don’t know much about the Scottish system but I assume you need to have all the school qualifications?

I know how it feels to be stuck in a crappy town where all you want to do is leave, and if you think it’ll be better for you to get out I totally get that. And it really isn’t the end of the world not having Alevels/highers!

I’d seriously look into seasonal work. Loads of people do the summer season somewhere hot and winter in ski lodges, get you plenty experience working in hospitality, meet loads of people and you get to travel! It’s the best change you can get from your town and sounds like the most fun option to me :yep:
    You need the Highers for uni. Many leave after that, although most stay on for a 6th year. That's what i am debating over. It's not the education that I want away from, it's the loneliness of high school. No social life and I have given up trying to get one at my school. My town is just boring, full of chavs/neds and is full of 2nd and 3rd generation Irish Catholics, so I certainly won't be finding a boyfriend there! Everything that my town offers is what I don't strive to be, if that makes sense.

As for the bit in bold, that sounds really enticing. I would gladly do that next year and ditch school, my town and everything in my current life.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but with the seasonal work, is there a decent amount of gay guys who would apply for those jobs?
    I am really in need of someone special in my life. I haven't got friends or anyone in that regard. Even if not for any romances, at least people who I can be friends with. There is honestly no point trying at my school.
    I'm not a celebrity but get me out of here!

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.
    I am going to go to university and have my dream job planned.

The problem is still what to do next year. If I get the necessary results this year, do I really need to be there next year?
    I personally don't want to come back, as I am miserable at my school and am in need of a fresh start.

What should I do? Any advice appreciated.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.