Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Anyone are applying for 2018 entry? Have you get the offer already? Please share!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I applied for the 2018 entry at the beginning of February and only just received an offer this week - it took 8 weeks! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sritify)
    Hey guys! Anyone are applying for 2018 entry? Have you get the offer already? Please share!
    Yeah I recently put an application through for this course. How long does it take to get the offer just out of interest? Also, if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I am 25 years of age, male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorSCFC)
    Hi there! I applied for the 2018 entry at the beginning of February and only just received an offer this week - it took 8 weeks! Hope this helps
    Wow congrats! I recently applied for this course too.

Just out of interest, how old are you? I am 25 years of age, male.

ReputationRep:
    I recently got an offer to study at UCL a couple of weeks ago!

Yeah it would be nice to see who else got offers here

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have received an offer from UCL and Royal Holloway. I am a bit confused on deciding between them. Can someone help.

ReputationRep:
    I applied in July and got the offer just over a month later.

@Agnitha They are both great, I know people from both UCL and Royal Holloway, I personally went to UCL. In terms on content and research, they are both pretty much the same, in terms of size of the classes, Royal Holloway is much bigger. When I attended UCL the classes in 2017 there were about 30 on average and focused quite a lot on anonymity and privacy when I was last there. Royal Holloway is really the one that started the whole Information Security courses, but UCL have been pushing out some really good research in the past few years (imo). For anyone looking to apply, feel free to PM me!

Edit: Someone asked me about programming languages. There is no real requirement to know one. But one that would help is obviously Python. Second would C. Network sockets work great on both and could help in your dissertation. I see that cryptanalysis is no longer a modules, but that would've helped as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Ly)
    I applied in July and got the offer just over a month later.

@Agnitha They are both great, I know people from both UCL and Royal Holloway, I personally went to UCL. In terms on content and research, they are both pretty much the same, in terms of size of the classes, Royal Holloway is much bigger. When I attended UCL the classes in 2017 there were about 30 on average and focused quite a lot on anonymity and privacy when I was last there. Royal Holloway is really the one that started the whole Information Security courses, but UCL have been pushing out some really good research in the past few years (imo). For anyone looking to apply, feel free to PM me!
    Thanks for your post J_Ly. Would be great if you can let know what are the pre-requisites required for the course. And how quickly one can find a job post completion? Do the Big four recruit from UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Agnitha No real prerequisites imo, as everything will be taught ground up. As mentioned before, maybe Python as it can help with modules like Privacy Enhancing Technologies and possibly your dissertation if you need to write something like scripts or even data science when you are publishing your results. If you have taken Computer Science/Engineering, it is very useful. Non-STEMS very difficult but not impossible. Some useful knowledge/topics to know would be:
    Network Security - Security Models, network security (i.e. DoS, cross site scripting, csrf, spoofing, etc), types of malware, etc.
    Cryptography - public key cryptography, digital signatures, block/stream ciphers, RSA, Elgamal, diffie-hellman sharing, etc.

Big four recruit a **** ton from UCL, depending if you are going for a cyber security consultant, engineering, penetration testing role. I will recommend to do projects to be able to showcase your work. Those looking for practical consultant roles like penetration testing or red teaming I would strongly recommend to do another qualification like OSCP (or CPSA). Some people even did the associate CISSP to get an upperhand.

Some people look before their exams (pre-april), some look after (post-june), some look after their dissertation (post-september) which by then all the graduate programmes are closed, places are taken and the next slots are NEXT september, far too late. If you can avoid graduate programmes, I would. Rather than being tied for 2 years, just choose a reputable company with a good salary and start there. My recommendation, anywhere before or after exams that way you covered all modules, finished all projects and possibly made a start on your dissertation and you can start talking about it in the interviews.

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.