Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The question of the century, 21st Century philosophers have used various forms of understanding, including observational, rational and computational thinking, yet failing to reach a consensus.

Previously, an avid pro-wetter, my dialogues with those of the other side had enlightened me, the scientific argument of solubility was the final trigger of my transformation to the conclusion, that water is dry. Since accepting this mentality, I have spent some time researching other evidences, and now engage in critical discourse defending the fact that water is dry.

So what's your stance, is H20 wet or dry?

ReputationRep:
    I was literally about to tell you how it isnt wet since it is water, but now im just confused, i cant deal with this

ReputationRep:
    maybe it is because, if something is wet it is covered in water, and water is covered in other water molecules, so it must be wet????
    but then it kinda isnt because it is itself and using wet as a property doesnt add any meaning to the statement, if you say 'water is wet', so i would then argue that it isnt and its a pointless question (A-Level RS knowledge is kicking in )

ReputationRep:
    Are all liquids dry and used to make solids wet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    The question of the century, 21st Century philosophers have used various forms of understanding, including observational, rational and computational thinking, yet failing to reach a consensus.

Previously, an avid pro-wetter, my dialogues with those of the other side had enlightened me, the scientific argument of solubility was the final trigger of my transformation to the conclusion, that water is dry. Since accepting this mentality, I have spent some time researching other evidences, and now engage in critical discourse defending the fact that water is dry.

water is slightly wet you can also make it wetter https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/c...xoCN5YQAvD_BwE
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought this was finished with a while ago. It's passed, let it go.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Water is a bunch of water molecules sloshing around each other. Something is wet when it has absorbed water or is covered in water. Water molecules surround other water molecules so using my definition of wet, which seems reasonable, then water is wet; but a water molecule is not wet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workgrind247)
    Are all liquids dry and used to make solids wet?
    The assertion that all liquids are present to wetten solids is inadequate and can be disproved.

ReputationRep:
    The assertion that all liquids are present to wetten solids is inadequate and can be disproved.
    disprove it then

ReputationRep:
    Its like asking if the glass is half full or half empty.
    Water is wet and water is dry.

ReputationRep:
    It is
    It is not
    It both is and is not
    It neither is nor is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    Its like asking if the glass is half full or half empty.
    Water is wet and water is dry.
    Nope because etymologically, the hypothetical glass can be defined as either without conflict, wet and dry however cannot harmoniously be attributed to a single entity. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workgrind247)
    disprove it then
    There are insoluble solids that cannot be subject to wetting. Moreover the primary purpose of water biologically is Cell life. Water is essential for cells to function properly: it enters into the composition of the cells. Of course there are various other functions for other scientific disciplines but wetting has never proven to be one as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    Are you daft?

Spoiler:
    Show

jks

but regardless of what you come up with water is wet so stop over complicating the matter and getting all philosophical about it.

save it for stuff like - is god real, is the universe infinite, am I actually gonna get a life?

ReputationRep:

Can you explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    It is
    It is not
    It both is and is not
    It neither is nor is not.
    A rather rushed, and overly philosophised hypothesis, which can be deemed balderdash given the numerous contradictions, which violate fundamental metaphysics of states and duality.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  wet.PNG
Views: 87
Size:  14.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Nutter)
    Are you daft?

Spoiler:
    Show

water is wet so stop over complicating the matter and getting all philosophical about it.

save it for stuff like - is god real, is the universe infinite, am I actually gonna get a life?
    I'm seeing a common factor within pro-wet thinkers, where their stance isn't evidenced rather the result of cultural, and dogmas etched mentally during early development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Name:  wet.PNG
Views: 87
Size:  14.9 KB
    Precisely water isn't wet. Since water is not saturated, water is the saturating element.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skyewoods)
    Can you explain
    My stance, the opposition, controversies - what would you like me to explain?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.