Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    I'm seeing a common factor within pro-wet thinkers, where their stance isn't evidenced rather the result of cultural, and dogmas etched mentally during early development.
    nahh familo

i just don't get your logical thoughts about the solubility of water and the fact that it is dry.

Perhaps if you elaborate - explaining the scientific detail I may be able to see where you are coming from.

Spoiler:
    Show

I love philosophy - I wonder if there is an a-level in it?

ReputationRep:
    A rather rushed, and overly philosophised hypothesis, which can be deemed balderdash given the numerous contradictions, which violate fundamental metaphysics of states and duality.
    Rushed? 3000 years old that logic, mate. Being caught up in duality is your cross to bear, not mine :-)

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a stretch to say that this is 'the question of the 21st century', by the way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Precisely water isn't wet. Since water is not saturated, water is the saturating element.
    This and this. You can't wet water, just like you can't burn fire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    This and this. You can't wet water, just like you can't burn fire.
    A fine analogy to be added to the existing bank of proofs, for the principle that water isn't wet, and conversely can be described as dry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    to prolong the agony discussion.... it is surely wrong to say "i wet myself".... because the liquid involved was already in contact with the relevant surface, albeit internally....

:holmes:

:beard:

:pee:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Precisely water isn't wet. Since water is not saturated, water is the saturating element.
    Water is covered and saturated with water. Indeed its wetness is defined by its high content of, er, water. It's wet.

It's also not an element.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This isn't some unsolved mystery. This is basic chemistry (well not even chemistry). Water molecules themselves are not wet, 'wet' is simply an abstract property as a result of something absorbing or becoming saturated with water, or some other interactive solvent. Hydrogen bonding in water contributes to it's surface tension, which contributes to it's ability to saturate objects with itself. So according to this definition, under certain conditions, I suppose you could become wet due to liquid ammonia, because of it's hydrogen bonding.

ReputationRep:
    The question of the century, 21st Century philosophers have used various forms of understanding, including observational, rational and computational thinking, yet failing to reach a consensus.

Previously, an avid pro-wetter, my dialogues with those of the other side had enlightened me, the scientific argument of solubility was the final trigger of my transformation to the conclusion, that water is dry. Since accepting this mentality, I have spent some time researching other evidences, and now engage in critical discourse defending the fact that water is dry.

So what's your stance, is H20 wet or dry?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Depends if H2O is turned on or not...

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Amullai)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Depends if H2O is turned on or not...

Hahaha omg you're a genius, I can't stop laughing, hahahaha. Ha. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    My stance, the opposition, controversies - what would you like me to explain?
    Wetness is an intrinsic property of water. How can it be dry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.