Turn on thread page Beta

Wanting to change courses after first year at university watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying economics at university and I realised within the first few weeks that although I enjoyed it, it really wasn't for me and thought that studying a joint degree in Economics and Mathematics would be much more suited to me. I asked my advisor about the possibility of switching within the first couple of weeks to which he responded almost a month later telling me that it was only possible within the first 2 weeks.

I am really confused as of what to do now. I've been advised by those in above years to try and plead my case to someone senior at the school of economics at my university but I have heard that the person in charge is a bit of a d**khead (couldn't think of way to phrase it politely).

I am really desperate to change courses and would pretty much do anything apart from repeating first year. After seeing what the next two years entail for economics, I am certain that I would enjoy economics and maths much more. And after speaking to students at other universities, I have heard that studying a joint degree keeps more doors open. I know that I could catch up with the 3 modules that are different for first year if I really put the work in.

Can someone please recommend me what to do?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by gemmac123455)
    I'm currently studying economics at university and I realised within the first few weeks that although I enjoyed it, it really wasn't for me and thought that studying a joint degree in Economics and Mathematics would be much more suited to me. I asked my advisor about the possibility of switching within the first couple of weeks to which he responded almost a month later telling me that it was only possible within the first 2 weeks.

I am really confused as of what to do now. I've been advised by those in above years to try and plead my case to someone senior at the school of economics at my university but I have heard that the person in charge is a bit of a d**khead (couldn't think of way to phrase it politely).

I am really desperate to change courses and would pretty much do anything apart from repeating first year. After seeing what the next two years entail for economics, I am certain that I would enjoy economics and maths much more. And after speaking to students at other universities, I have heard that studying a joint degree keeps more doors open. I know that I could catch up with the 3 modules that are different for first year if I really put the work in.

All you can do is ask if you can do the necessary modules one year then do the second year the year after, however there would be funding issues with that. It'd be much easier to start again.

ReputationRep:

Go and speak to the course leader or if you have one then head of year, dont email them go and see them tomorrow, but I imagine you will need to restart the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    All you can do is ask if you can do the necessary modules one year then do the second year the year after, however there would be funding issues with that. It'd be much easier to start again.
    What exactly do you mean? As in I'd just spend one year taking 3 modules I missed and then move on to second year? I don't think I could start again since it'd be a bit of a waste as the other 5 modules are exactly the same.

Do you not think that they might let me take those modules alongside second year (or is this highly unlikely)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Go and speak to the course leader or if you have one then head of year, dont email them go and see them tomorrow, but I imagine you will need to restart the year.
    I'm not sure if we have a head of year. But if I go and see the course leader, what exactly should I say? Do I keep begging and say that I can prove myself?

Restarting isn't an option for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if we have a head of year. But if I go and see the course leader, what exactly should I say? Do I keep begging and say that I can prove myself?

Restarting isn't an option for me.
    Just go and explain your situation and what you want to do, as I said it is highly unlikely that you will be able to though. Why can't you restart the year? (if there is a legit reason also mention that if an offer of restarting the year is offered)

ReputationRep:
    Just go and explain your situation and what you want to do, as I said it is highly unlikely that you will be able to though. Why can't you restart the year? (if there is a legit reason also mention that if an offer of restarting the year is offered)
    I just can't waste another year. I've heard from a student a couple of years above that it was possible as he's heard someone changed from economics to economics and politics. But I'm not sure if its possible for me.

I'll try my best to reason with the guy though. Or do you think it's not worth me wasting my time?

ReputationRep:
    I just can't waste another year. I've heard from a student a couple of years above that it was possible as he's heard someone changed from economics to economics and politics. But I'm not sure if its possible for me.

I'll try my best to reason with the guy though. Or do you think it's not worth me wasting my time?
    Have you contacted the director of taught modules for the maths department? His name is Mark Walters.

ReputationRep:

Yeah thats not going to be a valid excuse and its not really a waste of another year if it means it allows you to study the course you want to do (when I meant valid excuse I was talking about say you didnt have the funding left as you had used your gift year already or something).

Theres no harm in going and speaking to them though no one but them will know if you can change or not. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of changing, have you tried seeing them yet?

The other way you might be able to spin it is say you will self teach the missed maths and do the exams in the august resit period, but as I said before it totally depends on the departments policies, they are the ones with the answers, no one on here, no other student that 'heard' of someone changing etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR1999)
    Have you contacted the director of taught modules for the maths department? His name is Mark Walters.
    No I haven't. I'm not entirely sure if he'll be able to do anything about it though. I'll PM you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats not going to be a valid excuse and its not really a waste of another year if it means it allows you to study the course you want to do (when I meant valid excuse I was talking about say you didnt have the funding left as you had used your gift year already or something).

Theres no harm in going and speaking to them though no one but them will know if you can change or not. The longer you leave it the less chance you have of changing, have you tried seeing them yet?

The other way you might be able to spin it is say you will self teach the missed maths and do the exams in the august resit period, but as I said before it totally depends on the departments policies, they are the ones with the answers, no one on here, no other student that 'heard' of someone changing etc etc
    Yeah I guessed.

I'll try speaking to them soon since I usually have lectures when they're free.

Would I have to tell them that I can self-teach myself the material for the 3 modules and I can come in and take the tests in the resit periods? As in, I negotiate with them in this way? Hopefully I'll get a direct answer.

Thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guessed.

I'll try speaking to them soon since I usually have lectures when they're free.

Would I have to tell them that I can self-teach myself the material for the 3 modules and I can come in and take the tests in the resit periods? As in, I negotiate with them in this way? Hopefully I'll get a direct answer.

Thanks for your advice.
    just skip a lecture to go see them, as I said the longer you leave it now the less likely (in a already unlikely situation) they will be to consider the change, days matter now as you've not only missed the first semesters work but the longer you leave it the more of this semesters work you miss

Yeah just ask them if you can gain access to the module slides you'd be willing to self teach the material and sit the exam in the resit period, this is the only way I would see you being able to get them to let you change without resitting the year (which is the better and smarter option anyway imo but you said you dont want to resit the year)

As I said though be prepared for a no, its a lot of work and the uni might just not let people do that (otherwise lots of people would change courses halfway through their first year) plus learning the new way of going at pure maths takes a good amount of time and the stuff from 1st semester may be pre req for 2nd semester modules, making them even harder as you will be missing that knowledge (hence why resitting would be the smarter choice)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.