Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing dentistry at graduate level (currently in y12) because of personal reasons and because I got mainly B's and only 2 A's (limits my options) but i'm so confused as to whether or not I should still apply this year for dentistry. I haven't done any work experience and don't want to due to my personal reasons but I will always think what if (of course completing the work experience). I don't know what to do as I know graduate is so expensive and competitive but it's not like I have a chance of getting in. What shall I do???

ReputationRep:
    If you have no work experience and don’t wish to/can’t do any before you write your personal statement then it will be very hard to gain a place imo alongside a lower than average set of GCSE results. Of course you could always try and find some volunteering and work experience and start work for your UKCAT, and if you pick your uni choices carefully you have a shot at interviews. Without an insight into the career demonstrated in your personal statement many places will not invite you to interview and if you do get interviews you will struggle to talk about the required insight into the profession.

You still have time to consider whether or not to apply for 2019 entry. You already know the cons of grad entry, so you should definitely think seriously about what you want to do. If you decide to go for it, get lots of relevant work experience in different healthcare and dental settings, and make sure your UKCAT is excellent for the best shot.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsg9)
    If you have no work experience and don’t wish to/can’t do any before you write your personal statement then it will be very hard to gain a place imo alongside a lower than average set of GCSE results. Of course you could always try and find some volunteering and work experience and start work for your UKCAT, and if you pick your uni choices carefully you have a shot at interviews. Without an insight into the career demonstrated in your personal statement many places will not invite you to interview and if you do get interviews you will struggle to talk about the required insight into the profession.

You still have time to consider whether or not to apply for 2019 entry. You already know the cons of grad entry, so you should definitely think seriously about what you want to do. If you decide to go for it, get lots of relevant work experience in different healthcare and dental settings, and make sure your UKCAT is excellent for the best shot.
    Thank You for your comment tbh I don't have a perfect set of teeth and I'm going to be getting braces in a couple of months so I find it awkward. I know many may think this is a stupid reason but it's my biggest insecurity, to the point when I stopped talking until I really had to. My journey, my depression, people judging me is the main reason why I want to go into dentistry as my own dentist made me feel extremely uncomfortable and I don't want others to go through that. It has motivated me a lot but I don't want to go looking for w/e because of the fear of being judged and because of people's reaction when I tell them I want to do dentistry. At Least by the time I finish my first degree I could have my teeth sorted out. I know its pathetic but this world is a harsh place...

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean you want to do another degree then apply for dentistry? do you mean the 4 year graduate programme or the 5 year programme? It would be very difficult to get an interview with no work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rest in Pizza)
    Do you mean you want to do another degree then apply for dentistry? do you mean the 4 year graduate programme or the 5 year programme? It would be very difficult to get an interview with no work experience.
    Do a biomedical degree then apply for the 4 year graduate programme. I could do work experience during my degree but I was asking shall I apply this year (completing work experience during holidays) or just apply for biomed

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    You are being a little bit silly to go for a harder more expensive route into dentistry because of your perception of what people are thinking! Most opticians wear glasses, most dentists will have issues with their teeth.
    Whether or not you apply next year I would advise getting work experience to help you make up your mind as to whether it's the career for you or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    You are being a little bit silly to go for a harder more expensive route into dentistry because of your perception of what people are thinking! Most opticians wear glasses, most dentists will have issues with their teeth.
    Whether or not you apply next year I would advise getting work experience to help you make up your mind as to whether it's the career for you or not.
    I understand where your coming from but even then my GCSEs let me down

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 15, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.