Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it normal to feel like there’s gaps in my knowledge in Biology at this point. watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I feel like I just don’t know things enough in depth at this point in the year. I got an A on my most recent most but I feel like it isn’t a true reflection because when I’m going through the content there’s still many gaps.

Is this normal if I’m wanting to achieve an A/A* at the end of the year?

Any advice would be nice thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've moved this into the Biology forum for you - hopefully someone will be able to answer your question here

ReputationRep:
    GCSE or A-level or...?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymal)
    So, I feel like I just don’t know things enough in depth at this point in the year. I got an A on my most recent most but I feel like it isn’t a true reflection because when I’m going through the content there’s still many gaps.

Is this normal if I’m wanting to achieve an A/A* at the end of the year?

Any advice would be nice thanks
    Well yeah at this point it would be weird if you could get nearly full marks. An A right now is a good place to be. Maybe start focusing on individual topics and really nailing them so when it comes to proper revision later on you'll have a full understanding of the topics and will just need a little refresh.
    If you feel like overall there are gaps then perhaps you're focussing too much on the minor details and not seeing the bigger picture. When you see the bigger picture and start to connect elements of biology together it makes things easier to understand. Try doing some wider reading so you can see how topics are interlinked instead of just learning topics as 5 markers. Even wikipedia can be a good place to start. Don't even know if I'm making much sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blawan)
    Well yeah at this point it would be weird if you could get nearly full marks. An A right now is a good place to be. Maybe start focusing on individual topics and really nailing them so when it comes to proper revision later on you'll have a full understanding of the topics and will just need a little refresh.
    If you feel like overall there are gaps then perhaps you're focussing too much on the minor details and not seeing the bigger picture. When you see the bigger picture and start to connect elements of biology together it makes things easier to understand. Try doing some wider reading so you can see how topics are interlinked instead of just learning topics as 5 markers. Even wikipedia can be a good place to start. Don't even know if I'm making much sense.
    I understand - I got an A on the Mock but I’m not sure whether their grade boundaries are low I feel like I can trust it. Also how long would you say to dedicate to each topic because I just feel like I’m running out of time for some reason even though it’s like 3/4 months or till my first exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymal)
    I understand - I got an A on the Mock but I’m not sure whether their grade boundaries are low I feel like I can trust it. Also how long would you say to dedicate to each topic because I just feel like I’m running out of time for some reason even though it’s like 3/4 months or till my first exam.
    Is this A level? You have loads of time, no point stressing about it. Even if you got a B, that would be 3-4 months to improve and get to A* which is plenty of time.
    Keep going with the revision and do another past paper in a couple of weeks.
    Honestly have no idea how long to dedicate to each topic, I didn't revise over a long period of time, I just crammed a couple days before. But at the rate you're going, you'll be absolutely fine. You'll know if you've done enough if you feel comfortable teaching someone about the topic.

I do see your point though, because sometimes you can get lucky with a past paper and it covers the topics you're good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blawan)
    Is this A level? You have loads of time, no point stressing about it. Even if you got a B, that would be 3-4 months to improve and get to A* which is plenty of time.
    Keep going with the revision and do another past paper in a couple of weeks.
    Honestly have no idea how long to dedicate to each topic, I didn't revise over a long period of time, I just crammed a couple days before. But at the rate you're going, you'll be absolutely fine. You'll know if you've done enough if you feel comfortable teaching someone about the topic.

I do see your point though, because sometimes you can get lucky with a past paper and it covers the topics you're good at.

Yeah it’s a-level but I’m a bit of a panicker aha and thank you I will revise each topic seperately I think that’s a good idea to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if you feel like there is gaps in your knowledge, the depth that you get taught at A-level is not enough for you to be able to synthesise all of the content and actually make sense of what is happening. I'm a masters student (biology) and I still consider A-levels to be the toughest thing I've ever done. A-levels are a memory test, and so the trick is to stay motivated and keep going over things. If you're achieving A's now then you are on the right track, just hang in there!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.