Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's his deal? Is he playing hard to get or not that interested? watch

This may be quite long - sorry

So, as most things start these days, I matched with this guy on tinder last November (2017). We seemed to click when talking etc and were messaging everyday on fb, however, he is in the military and is based over 400 miles away in Germany (I am in the UK). Despite this we continued talking as we had a lot of in jokes and decided to meet up when he was back in the UK as his hometown is very close to where I live.

We meet, its amazing, we spend two whole days together and both were very affectionate with each other and I had no doubt in my mind that it was a genuine connection on both sides. He goes back to Germany for work and we continue messaging each other, same good vibes as always etc.

Fast forward a few weeks, he had to go on military exercise in the middle of nowhere and was off wifi for just over a week - no issues about this, assumed everything would be all good once he was back. So he comes back on wifi and messages me instantly etc saying he's back.

This is where my confusion starts - since he has been back on wifi I feel as though he has been very vague/distant, or at least definitely more so than before he went away. I asked him if we were still the same as before and he said yeah, although I feel as though I initiate a lot of the conversation. Now, he has never been the most consistent with messaging, and we do exchange conversation on some level every day, but even the compliments and affection seem to be less.

I was starting to lose hope this week, as he is back in the UK, as when I tried to make plans with him it seemed like he wasn't too interested. All of a sudden I decide to just straight up tell him I want to see him as he is home (rather than just asking when he is free etc), and as soon as I say that he makes plans with me - taking me out for the day later this week, staying at his house, and then the following night staying at mine for a party this is happening.

Am I being ridiculous and otherthinking or is he possibly just not really that interested? I know he is taking me out on a date, and that this isn't really your typical "dating scenario" in terms of the distance, but my gut feels like something has changed. I like him, and I feel like he likes me too, but I am wondering if the distance thing is an issue for him that could explain his behaviour since being off grid.

Thoughts???

ReputationRep:
    Next time why don't you let him initiate? Then you'll see if he is interested or not.

ReputationRep:
    You're damn right
    That was long

(Original post by GreenBell)
    Next time why don't you let him initiate? Then you'll see if he is interested or not.
    He does quite often initiate, just after a while of non responsiveness. I guess I'm just concerned because the amount we used to talk and the quality of the conversation has lessened to the point where I thought he didn't want to see me now he was at home (which he seemed soooo keen for previously). It actually took me by surprise when he asked me out on this date... I guess I'm weary. And since we are technically long distance dating (i suppose thats what it is??) i'm not sure when is the appropriate time to define or discuss the direction we're going in (if at all)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.