The Student Room Group

GCSE English spoken language endorsement

Ideas on an interesting topic to write a 3-5 minute speech about for an english spoken language exam?
(edited 6 years ago)
look up newpaper articles they have great ideas and you can use the facts in them. I did mine about the 9-1 education system :lol:, choose a topic you feel comfortable talking about, footballers pay, school food, body image, motivation vs success, being vegetarian. Look on TSR for ideas, I'm sure you have an opinion about something you can rant about.
Reply 2
I did my spoken language exam on the different types of euthanasia and whether they are ethically correct. Got a distinction for it as I indulged into all the viewpoints I could get. All I did was use fancy terminology and I related it back to myself (as I know people in the medical field). Also having a good previous knowledge of the subject helps in the section where you are asked questions. Furthermore, I suggest not using a cue card too much as it can hamper your effectiveness of delivering the speech.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Take a topic you are interested in, and then find a relevant/controversial issue around it. If you're into sport, talk about the doping scandal, for example should Russia be allowed to compete? If you're into animals, then vegetarianism (as suggested) is a good idea, or perhaps is it ok to keep animals as pets?

The key to a good assessment is to present some facts and viewpoints, but summarise with your own viewpoint. We were allowed to use a powerpoint behind if we felt more comfortable using one, and if you do, be careful to keep the powerpoint to a bare minimum- just speaking from the powerpoint won't even get you a pass. Take it steady, and remember you are allowed to use 'erm' (or similar) to no penalty- they are a part of normal speech.

I got a distinction on mine, talking about the war in Yemen. I used a short powerpoint with just a few charts and key facts, but explained the facts with extra info in my speech. If you're still stuck for topics, the more popular ones in my class were euthanasia, the death penalty, should the police be armed, right to vote at 16 and the state of the NHS. All are topical issues and can attract the best marks.
Reply 4
Original post by IceBlue
Take a topic you are interested in, and then find a relevant/controversial issue around it. If you're into sport, talk about the doping scandal, for example should Russia be allowed to compete? If you're into animals, then vegetarianism (as suggested) is a good idea, or perhaps is it ok to keep animals as pets?

The key to a good assessment is to present some facts and viewpoints, but summarise with your own viewpoint. We were allowed to use a powerpoint behind if we felt more comfortable using one, and if you do, be careful to keep the powerpoint to a bare minimum- just speaking from the powerpoint won't even get you a pass. Take it steady, and remember you are allowed to use 'erm' (or similar) to no penalty- they are a part of normal speech.

I got a distinction on mine, talking about the war in Yemen. I used a short powerpoint with just a few charts and key facts, but explained the facts with extra info in my speech. If you're still stuck for topics, the more popular ones in my class were euthanasia, the death penalty, should the police be armed, right to vote at 16 and the state of the NHS. All are topical issues and can attract the best marks.

Do you think a speech on the British Black Panthers would be good? It's not particularly topical in the sense that there isn't much debate surrounding the topic... Or should I focus on a topic where there are multiple viewpoints?
I did my speaking endorsement on hermit crabs as I have them as pets and I can speak without a script for well over 5 minutes on them. I was also able to answer all the questions that my classmates asked, which was a good thing. I would recommend choosing something you are passionate about and know a lot about, even if you think it may be boring, do what you want and what you feel comfortable talking about. (I got a distinction - highest grade).
Reply 6
What kind of questions did you get?
Original post by Macn'Cheese
What kind of questions did you get?

I got asked about the sizes of the hermit crabs, what do I feed them etc. (I covered their care, size of habitat, reproduction and stuff like that, but didn't cover small topics such as what they eat as it would have just been a long list.)

Quick Reply

Latest