Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Just a little background info - I currently hold an unconditional offer to study vet med starting 2018 and lately I have started to become little freaked out about it all. I didn't go down the traditional route of doing full A-levels but completed another diploma instead with chemistry on AS-level and I am now wondering whether this will put me in disadvantage in comparison to other students coming from the solid A-level background. I am obviously over the moon for having secured a place and I am mainly feeling very excited for next September however sometimes this fear just creeps into my mind and the self doubt starts - whether I am clever enough after all and what if just prove to be a massive failure? Also what makes this all a bit harder is that in the meantime I am working in a totally unrelated field and I can feel becoming a little distant to all things vet. I obviously try to compensate this by doing a little self-study at home but sometimes it can prove hard (and little overwhelming) as it can be difficult to recognise what is relevant info to know prior to the course.

Therefore I would genuinely love to hear about the whole vet school experience from current vet students like what do you enjoy the most about your studies e.g. subject wise? Do you find certain subjects more challenging than others and if so why and how do you over come difficulties? What kind of learning techniques do you use to ensure your learning is effective? If you could give any advice to yourself prior starting the course what would it be - for example would you try and self study certain areas before hand to ease the workload? Did anything come to you as a surprise - positive or negative aspects of your current course? If you find some subjects or aspects of your studies challenging do you feel that it's ok to ask for help and is help easily available to you? I would greatly appreciate any piece of advice, information or really just any thought sharing from current students.

Massive thanks

ReputationRep:
    Firstly don't worry about chemistry! Vet schools would not accept your route if they did not believe it would leave you prepared to begin vet school, besides other than biochem which for our course is a tiny portion of our overall first year you need only the most basic of chemistry knowledge. The doubt of are we smart enough has hit everybody in my year that I have spoken to at some point since September but its the resilience to keep going that gets you there And without that you probably wouldn't have even got a place on the course to begin with I wouldn't say you need no knowledge prior to starting the course but they are mainly after the ability to pick up concepts rather than already know them well.

Advice I would give to myself if I was starting again would actually be to not work so hard in the first week or two, I was definitely doing far more work than is necessary and felt I missed out on a few of the more fun aspects going on at the time. The best work you can do is to work less, but more productively within that time. If a lecture is an hour but you have 6 hours of them in the day then you can't realistically spend another 6 hours of that evening going over everything you have learned. Condense your work into as small segments as possible to make remembering them easier. Setting questions for yourself based on lecture content is a great way to progress also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    Firstly don't worry about chemistry! Vet schools would not accept your route if they did not believe it would leave you prepared to begin vet school, besides other than biochem which for our course is a tiny portion of our overall first year you need only the most basic of chemistry knowledge. The doubt of are we smart enough has hit everybody in my year that I have spoken to at some point since September but its the resilience to keep going that gets you there And without that you probably wouldn't have even got a place on the course to begin with I wouldn't say you need no knowledge prior to starting the course but they are mainly after the ability to pick up concepts rather than already know them well.

Advice I would give to myself if I was starting again would actually be to not work so hard in the first week or two, I was definitely doing far more work than is necessary and felt I missed out on a few of the more fun aspects going on at the time. The best work you can do is to work less, but more productively within that time. If a lecture is an hour but you have 6 hours of them in the day then you can't realistically spend another 6 hours of that evening going over everything you have learned. Condense your work into as small segments as possible to make remembering them easier. Setting questions for yourself based on lecture content is a great way to progress also.
    Thank you so much for your nice reply 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how worthwhile it is but there is a MOOC run by Edinburgh uni called 'do you have what it takes to be a vet', which I think covers a some animal husbandry and basic anatomy and clinical skills. Its £36 to get the certificate and has good reviews so might be worth a look?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roisin1234)
    I don't know how worthwhile it is but there is a MOOC run by Edinburgh uni called 'do you have what it takes to be a vet', which I think covers a some animal husbandry and basic anatomy and clinical skills. Its £36 to get the certificate and has good reviews so might be worth a look?
    Hi, yes thank you very much for your reply. However I have already completed this programme and received the certificate few years ago and I thought it was very helpful

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.