Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's going to live and study and Durham, I'm wondering if there are individuals from African/ Caribbean backgrounds in Durham?

I know someone is probably gonna ask "why do I care?" and tell me to "focus on your degree", but growing up in a diverse city (Leeds) I'm used to interacting with people from all background & spending my uni life in a city that lacks diversity will affect my studies, social life and mental health as there's only so much you can relate with someone who isn't like you.

ReputationRep:
    The locals are very white. I don't see how being around white people could affect your mental health; in Durham, they're middle-class white (the good kind!). They're easy to get along with.

Durham uni is quite white also, but more diverse than the local population. Again, I don't understand how it could affect your mental health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    The locals are very white. I don't see how being around white people could affect your mental health; in Durham, they're middle-class white (the good kind!). They're easy to get along with.

Durham uni is quite white also, but more diverse than the local population. Again, I don't understand how it could affect your mental health.
    By no means was I trying to imply that white people could affect my mental health.
    I was mainly concerned about how white people from Durham interact with minority groups(BME). For example, am I going to be excluded because I'm not white? Would I be looked at differently because I'm not white? And if that was the case would I have anyone like me to be able to relate to?

But thanks for answering my question, I'm just probably overthinking.
    Also do you know any good areas to look for private accommodation there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowflake20)
    By no means was I trying to imply that white people could affect my mental health.
    I was mainly concerned about how white people from Durham interact with minority groups(BME). For example, am I going to be excluded because I'm not white? Would I be looked at differently because I'm not white? And if that was the case would I have anyone like me to be able to relate to?

You can just look at the unis diversity report. Each Uni usually has one. Just google a bunch of buzzwords and an ethnic breakdown will be somewhere there.

However to answer your questions, no and no. You're going to Durham not Mississippi or Russia lol. Treat people nicely and they'll be nice back.

From what I've seen, the only group that tends to be treated differently is the international students from china or japan. And that's only because they tend to be extremely cliquey. Not like people are rude or anything like that. But I've noticed they don't talk to them as much. Mostly because they don't talk back. I had one in my lab group the other week and she only said about 5 sentences to us in the whole hour. She was really sweet tho.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m Afro-Caribbean and I’m thinking of firming Durham to study law, what course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucia London)
    Hey, I’m Afro-Caribbean and I’m thinking of firming Durham to study law, what course have you applied for?
    I’m African and I’m planning on studying law at Durham. What college were you allocated to?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck surviving there. You’re gonna need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambridgedream)
    good luck studying there, i am white working class and found it extremely isolating. I can only imagine how isolated a black individual would feel there. It's honestly not a good place to be and if there's any advice I could give it would be to go to a law school in a diverse city. or literally anywhere but durham. There's a lot of lad culture and it's very white middle class. Avoid like the plague please. Good luck.
    My firm is Durham and my insurance is Exeter.. I’m screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psych00)
    My firm is Durham and my insurance is Exeter.. I’m screwed.
    looooool why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojosodope)
    looooool why
    Wallahi IDK. Exeter only wants BBB and Durham asked for A*AB/AAA. I replied to Exeter before the whole racist incident. I feel so wronged LOL.
    Now I must asslimate.

ReputationRep:
    Wallahi IDK. Exeter only wants BBB and Durham asked for A*AB/AAA. I replied to Exeter before the whole racist incident. I feel so wronged LOL.
    Now I must asslimate.
    The law school at Durham is excellent, and such racist incidents are not the norm (and these unfortunate incidents occur at other universities as well. Racism, unfortunately, does still exist). I would skeptical to believe that Exter has less of a racism problem — which isn’t to say that either University has a large racism problem.

Dean Brooks is increasing the faculty in size in the next few year to almost double what it was, so you may gain access to new courses and academics. I wouldn’t recommend letting this incident color your view of the university or the law school.

If you have any specific questions regarding law, feel free to direct them my way.

ReputationRep:
    I’m African and I’m planning on studying law at Durham. What college were you allocated to?
    Van Mildert, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    The law school at Durham is excellent, and such racist incidents are not the norm (and these unfortunate incidents occur at other universities as well. Racism, unfortunately, does still exist). I would skeptical to believe that Exter has less of a racism problem — which isn’t to say that either University has a large racism problem.

Dean Brooks is increasing the faculty in size in the next few year to almost double what it was, so you may gain access to new courses and academics. I wouldn’t recommend letting this incident color your view of the university or the law school.

If you have any specific questions regarding law, feel free to direct them my way.
    How diverse was the student population when studying law?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

You're totally right and it's totally understandable to want diversity. It's more representative of a wider range of experiences, and most of the time increased diversity means people have a wider support network, more people are visible and fewer incidents happen. It is absolutely a great experience to learn from others and to gain an understanding that wouldn't be gained and this (generally) fosters greater compassion. (I didn't grow up in London or Leeds, but have studied in a very socioeconomic and ethnically diverse inner city arts school in the US previously)

As a Durham student, I won't lie to you and say Durham doesn't have a racism problem. That would be naive, and it would also be unfair to mislead people. To my knowledge, every single Russell Group university in the UK (to varying degrees) has a problem with classism and racism. These are systemic issues, they are embedded in the culture of these universities; Durham is no exception.

Most of the incidents that students have reported (from what I have heard) have centred around ignorance and microaggressions - small things that a white rich person would not notice (because if you don't live something every day, you don't always "get it". These things do add up, even if they are not as evident as what has happened at Exeter and elsewhere.

Although I haven't had experience with college or staff welfare/discipline for racism (as I am not a person of colour), I have dealt with them with regards to gender and being disabled, and although these are different issues they have always been supportive of any marginalised identity experience and keen to make sure no one does anything hurtful.

In terms of diversity, the town population is not very diverse, owing to its cultural history as a working-class mostly white mining town. The university population is, however, more diverse. I can't quantify in terms of real figures (and I am probably less attuned to race than someone who lives it daily) but the Durham People of Colour Association has almost 800 members and the number of people of colour is likely to be higher than this (not all POC are members). The DPOCA also does a good job of running great events and we have a Working Class Association which is gaining a lot of traction.

In summary, Durham has a problem like (I would argue) all RG UK universities. It absolutely can improve, and it is understandable that this would be a push factor away from applying or taking up a place (not everyone wants to be in an environment that is not fully diverse, and not everyone wants to or can be the person to break the stereotype mould).

If you do decide to take up your space, remember you are NOT alone at all, and that the DPOCA and Working Class Association are fully supportive, offer great events for meeting others and assist with welfare. If you want more info about diversity at Durham, feel free to message me (I know the exec of DPOCA and WCA, as well as being LGBT+ exec and disabled member).

As for private accommodation, Nevilles Cross and Gilesgate are good and cheap (60-65/wk isn't unusual). The closer you are to the centre the more expensive it is; people can charge wild amounts for central property (eg 110-150/wk) which imo is not worth it (Nevilles and Gilesgate are 20 min walk at most from centre, or a 5-10 min bus).

ReputationRep:
    How diverse was the student population when studying law?
    Indeed, it’s mostly white middle class students from the UK. But, I would argue, this would be the case at most Oxbridge, Sutton 13, RG universities. That said, there are good number of international students coming from the US, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong, India, South Africa, New Zealand, and then occasionally some other students coming from other Asian, Pacific Island, or African countries.

You can see some admissions statistics here.

ReputationRep:
    Van Mildert, you?
    greys college
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    greys college
    grey is nice although all i can ever think about is their promotional video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtP_zJztFLY

ReputationRep:
    Unequivocally yes. Can't think of any college off of the top of my head that's particularly whitewashed.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's going to live and study and Durham, I'm wondering if there are individuals from African/ Caribbean backgrounds in Durham?

I know someone is probably gonna ask "why do I care?" and tell me to "focus on your degree", but growing up in a diverse city (Leeds) I'm used to interacting with people from all background & spending my uni life in a city that lacks diversity will affect my studies, social life and mental health as there's only so much you can relate with someone who isn't like you.
    Lol I'm pretty sure the 'Duke of Durham', some ethno-nationalist youtuber, studies/studied at Durham. Not to scare you ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    grey is nice although all i can ever think about is their promotional video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtP_zJztFLY

.... that’s an abomination

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.