Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any black people at Durham University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As someone who's going to live and study and Durham, I'm wondering if there are individuals from African/ Caribbean backgrounds in Durham?

I know someone is probably gonna ask "why do I care?" and tell me to "focus on your degree", but growing up in a diverse city (Leeds) I'm used to interacting with people from all background & spending my uni life in a city that lacks diversity will affect my studies, social life and mental health as there's only so much you can relate with someone who isn't like you.

ReputationRep:
    The locals are very white. I don't see how being around white people could affect your mental health; in Durham, they're middle-class white (the good kind!). They're easy to get along with.

Durham uni is quite white also, but more diverse than the local population. Again, I don't understand how it could affect your mental health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    The locals are very white. I don't see how being around white people could affect your mental health; in Durham, they're middle-class white (the good kind!). They're easy to get along with.

Durham uni is quite white also, but more diverse than the local population. Again, I don't understand how it could affect your mental health.
    By no means was I trying to imply that white people could affect my mental health.
    I was mainly concerned about how white people from Durham interact with minority groups(BME). For example, am I going to be excluded because I'm not white? Would I be looked at differently because I'm not white? And if that was the case would I have anyone like me to be able to relate to?

But thanks for answering my question, I'm just probably overthinking.
    Also do you know any good areas to look for private accommodation there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snowflake20)
    By no means was I trying to imply that white people could affect my mental health.
    I was mainly concerned about how white people from Durham interact with minority groups(BME). For example, am I going to be excluded because I'm not white? Would I be looked at differently because I'm not white? And if that was the case would I have anyone like me to be able to relate to?

But thanks for answering my question, I'm just probably overthinking.
    Also do you know any good areas to look for private accommodation there?
    You can just look at the unis diversity report. Each Uni usually has one. Just google a bunch of buzzwords and an ethnic breakdown will be somewhere there.

However to answer your questions, no and no. You're going to Durham not Mississippi or Russia lol. Treat people nicely and they'll be nice back.

From what I've seen, the only group that tends to be treated differently is the international students from china or japan. And that's only because they tend to be extremely cliquey. Not like people are rude or anything like that. But I've noticed they don't talk to them as much. Mostly because they don't talk back. I had one in my lab group the other week and she only said about 5 sentences to us in the whole hour. She was really sweet tho.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.