Turn on thread page Beta

LGBTQ+ transgender [under the age of 16-18] watch

ReputationRep:
    Should children under the age of 16-18y be allowed to take T[FTM transgender] or hormon blokers [MTF transgender?

ReputationRep:
    If that is part of their transition then why not.... if they wanted to change their mind they always could. However most people transitioning know what they want ... regardless of age.-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momodoujassey)
    If that is part of their transition then why not.... if they wanted to change their mind they always could. However most people transitioning know what they want ... regardless of age.-)
    Yeah I totally agree with this person, When people know who they are, it's who they are. People seem to think transitioning is a small thing but its massive, theres so many things going through that persons mind at the one time. Trans people to me are some of the strongest people, they're having to go through so much because they were born in the wrong body. Its hard to think half of all trans people will contemplate suicide at some point in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    yes as long as they have gone through the process of going to the gp an the gender identity clinics

ReputationRep:
    No they should have to wait till the are an Adult.....

ReputationRep:
    Messing around with hormones in adolescents will change you permanently. I personally think its a bad idea in general but if people over 18 want to do that they should be able to do so, just not younger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    No they should have to wait till the are an Adult.....
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliisacoolguy)
    why?

kids are too young to be making such life changing decisions which will effect them for the rest of their life and likely cannot be fully reversed..

ReputationRep:
    Louis Theroux did a really good documentary on trans kids. I’d really recommend watching it, seeing these kids and hearing their stories.

I’m all for it, but the kids should go through a strict assessment process (and from what I can tell, they do) to come to the conclusion that medically transitioning is the best thing for them.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Louis Theroux did a really good documentary on trans kids. I’d really recommend watching it, seeing these kids and hearing their stories.

I’m all for it, but the kids should go through a strict assessment process (and from what I can tell, they do) to come to the conclusion that medically transitioning is the best thing for them.
    I can't see why any parent would be willing to allow their kid to pretend to be something they are not - and never will be properly. It strikes me the parents who allow it are the ones who have political motives. E.g. the gender neutral campaigner who raises her kid to be neutral. Funnily enough, the boy has a huge interest in girls' toys since his mum uses neutrality as an excuse to push the pretend sex on him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    kids are too young to be making such life changing decisions which will effect them for the rest of their life and likely cannot be fully reversed..
    Agreed. But imagine we lived in a society that forced to live as a woman because that is what society dictates. You know you are a man. You have known that since a very early age. But to take your argument, society would force you to live and present as a woman until you were 18 years old. How would you feel about that?

ReputationRep:
    Yup

I wish I had them now -.-

I think people who are under 16 should be allowed hormone blockers just by going to their GP as it is reversible.

I think for T you should have a good assessment process etc to make sure it's right for you. (which you do)

Damn I would do anything to get blockers or T -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Maddie)
    I can't see why any parent would be willing to allow their kid to pretend to be something they are not - and never will be properly. It strikes me the parents who allow it are the ones who have political motives. E.g. the gender neutral campaigner who raises her kid to be neutral. Funnily enough, the boy has a huge interest in girls' toys since his mum uses neutrality as an excuse to push the pretend sex on him.
    I don't buy this. Where is the rule book that says boys should build things out of Lego but girls should sit quietly in the corner going craft? And why is Lego aimed at girls pink and pastel. The point is that we are given a gender at birth based purely on our genitalia. But gender is a combination of our sex, internal and external organs and more importantly, how we feel. Why shouldn't we be permitted to choose our own gender? Sure, most will choose a gender that aligns with our genitals, but some don't. Why should we force them to be what we want them to be rather than allow them to choose? After all, we are permitted to choose just about everything else in our lives, but to some, the one thing that defines our very self is not selectable.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously worth watching to documentary, you’ll get that parents explanation and hear from the kids and their doctors. Has kids of all ages too. I find things are a lot easier to understand when I can see them in real life and hear from those that experience it, rather than hypothetical situations.

On paper I would have agreed that people should wait until like 18, but after watching that documentary I think it should be decided case by case by a professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I don't buy this. Where is the rule book that says boys should build things out of Lego but girls should sit quietly in the corner going craft? And why is Lego aimed at girls pink and pastel. The point is that we are given a gender at birth based purely on our genitalia. But gender is a combination of our sex, internal and external organs and more importantly, how we feel. Why shouldn't we be permitted to choose our own gender? Sure, most will choose a gender that aligns with our genitals, but some don't. Why should we force them to be what we want them to be rather than allow them to choose? After all, we are permitted to choose just about everything else in our lives, but to some, the one thing that defines our very self is not selectable.
    You are extending it too far. Lego is aimed at both sexes. The example I gave was the mum encouraging her son to dress up as a fairy - Lego is different. Pink Lego is aimed at girls because girls are biologically programmed into liking the colour. There have been loads of studies about colour preferences.

People like to think gender has an internal mental combination when really it doesn't. If someone doesn't fell like their sex that is a mental condition. It is not something society should pamper to. When someone is against transgenderism, it's not about forcing them to be something they do not want to be, it's about forcing them to want to be something they are. In any other case, if someone started identifying as a bag of sugar or a white person as black, they would be sectioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Seriously worth watching to documentary, you’ll get that parents explanation and hear from the kids and their doctors. Has kids of all ages too. I find things are a lot easier to understand when I can see them in real life and hear from those that experience it, rather than hypothetical situations.

On paper I would have agreed that people should wait until like 18, but after watching that documentary I think it should be decided case by case by a professional.
    I watched it. My take on it is society is too lenient when it comes to acceptance. These parents and children should be listened to and society should provide them the help needed to live as their sex.

ReputationRep:
    IIRC it's something like 80% of children with GID grow up to be homosexual/bisexual (and lose their GID). I don't think it's reasonable to allow kids to transition based on this and the unpredictability of GID persisting into adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    You are extending it too far. Lego is aimed at both sexes. The example I gave was the mum encouraging her son to dress up as a fairy - Lego is different. Pink Lego is aimed at girls because girls are biologically programmed into liking the colour. There have been loads of studies about colour preferences.
    Sure - but not pink. My boys loved pink stuff until the learned it was a girls colour. In fact, the obsession of boys=blue, girls=pink was only introduced around 1940! It drives me crazy that there is a total monopoly on gendered colour. Our local toy shop has a whole pink side fully of pathetic looking dolls and drawing kits whilst the boys section is full of guns and cars. It is pathetic. I even noted that a very gender neutral flower press (I had and loved one as a kid) was ruined by a picture of a disgustingly fake girl with blonde hair and bright blue eyes on the front of it. Clearly, flower pressing is only for girls these days? And now my eldest son is turning 8 he is no longer permitted to wear bright colourful clothes that he enjoys, he has to wear dull blues and browns. It does my head in. And the big losers of this are girls and women who are programmed to be pretty and like princesses and all submissive.

I was shocked when a BBC programme did an experiment on 7 year-olds in a school. Each student was asked to vote on who was better, girls or boys. Now bear in mind that at the age of 7, girls and boys are physically and mentally equal (on average). All but one girl stated that boys were better. How sad is that? That our seven year old girls have so little self-worth that they are happy to admit without question that they are second fiddle to boys?

And you defend it by whittering on about studies?

ReputationRep:
    honestly unless your trans yourself you shouldn't worry about what we do to our bodies. it's private and none of your business at the end of the day. we don't transition to please you- or justify ourselves to you. it's not a debate. it's people's lives that are at risk and in danger because of ignorance and opinions based on bigotry and pretending you know what's going on, when in fact you have no clue. so unless your trans this shouldn't be questions you are asking as it's none of your business

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.