Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are your thoughts on this Notnek

ReputationRep:
    do u need help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    do u need help?
    Not with answering it because I made the question, was just looking to get advice on how hard people would grade it and how I can improve the question-perhaps to make it more difficult?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wow I think this is way past GCSE (reasoning)

Edit: I'll actually have to give it a try first, maybe tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y11_Maths)
    Not with answering it because I made the question, was just looking to get advice on how hard people would grade it and how I can improve the question-perhaps to make it more difficult?
    Good question!

if i was at gcse now id probably rate it an 8 (A grade I think?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mundosinfin)
    Wow I think this is way past GCSE (reasoning)

Edit: I'll actually have to give it a try first, maybe tomorrow!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Good question!

if i was at gcse now id probably rate it an 8 (A grade I think?)
    Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions how I could make it even harder?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your feedback. Any suggestions how I could make it even harder?
    actually thinking about it now it's probably a grade 9 although I haven't seen any grade 9 questions before.

To make it harder, maybe ask them to express c in terms of x? so you'll have to give one of the co-ordinates in x possibly? just a quick thought as algebra usually throws people off in geometry questions.

ReputationRep:
    actually thinking about it now it's probably a grade 9 although I haven't seen any grade 9 questions before.

To make it harder, maybe ask them to express c in terms of x? so you'll have to give one of the co-ordinates in x possibly? just a quick thought as algebra usually throws people off in geometry questions.
    Noted, thanks for the advice 🙂
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    What are your thoughts on this Notnek
    I'll take a look now and let you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I'll take a look now and let you know.
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Thanks
    Did you get

Spoiler:
    Show
    \frac{21}{16}?

I cheated a bit again so I want to make sure it's right before I give feedback

ReputationRep:
    my minimum expected grade is a grade 9 and i dont even know what a trapezoid is

ReputationRep:
    Did you get

Spoiler:
    Show
    \frac{21}{16}?

I cheated a bit again so I want to make sure it's right before I give feedback
    Yes that is correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnotapplicablex)
    my minimum expected grade is a grade 9 and i dont even know what a trapezoid is
    😂😂
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Yes that is correct
    :congrats:

I have to applaud you because that was a brilliant question and for a year 11 student to come up with that, wow is all I can say. Have you thought about a career as a textbook writer when you get older

It's definitely grade 9 and I don't think it should be made more challenging - I think it would be done very badly in a real exam, even by grade 9 students. I'd be interested to see your solution since I didn't spend long on it so I may have missed an easier method. My method was long for GCSE (but made faster by using Wolfram Alpha ).

My only "criticism" is that you used trapezoid instead of the British word "trapezium" but that's so minor.

I think these questions would be better in a single thread, especially since it's not clear what your threads are about (e.g. do you want help?) for someone who hasn't already seen your questions. Plus people over the next few months may want to try all of your questions. That could possibly mean starting a new thread like this one where anyone is welcome to post questions. But that got really popular in May last year so it could be a bit early but who knows? Would you be interested in starting a thread like this?

If you are interested probably best not to start the thread yet. I'm tagging Lemur14 from the Support Team who may have thoughts about this and maybe this is a discussion for somewhere else and we can back to you.

ReputationRep:
    Woah Man you are amazing for a y11 to be creating questions like this!

ReputationRep:
    They normally with throw in a hard question like this as the last question of a GCSE exam, so all the people predicted grade 9 have something to work on for the remaining half an hour lol :P

ReputationRep:
    :congrats:

I have to applaud you because that was a brilliant question and for a year 11 student to come up with that, wow is all I can say. Have you thought about a career as a textbook writer when you get older

It's definitely grade 9 and I don't think it should be made more challenging - I think it would be done very badly in a real exam, even by grade 9 students. I'd be interested to see your solution since I didn't spend long on it so I may have missed an easier method. My method was long for GCSE (but made faster by using Wolfram Alpha ).

My only "criticism" is that you used trapezoid instead of the British word "trapezium" but that's so minor.

I think these questions would be better in a single thread, especially since it's not clear what your threads are about (e.g. do you want help?) for someone who hasn't already seen your questions. Plus people over the next few months may want to try all of your questions. That could possibly mean starting a new thread like this one where anyone is welcome to post questions. But that got really popular in May last year so it could be a bit early but who knows? Would you be interested in starting a thread like this?

If you are interested probably best not to start the thread yet. I'm tagging Lemur14 from the Support Team who may have thoughts about this and maybe this is a discussion for somewhere else and we can back to you.
    Wow thank you so much my friend! I have thought about writing my own GCSE Maths revision guide after I finish my exams and (as you may be aware) am in the process of creating my own ‘Grade 9 Maths Paper’.

Trapezoid just sounded cooler all I will say 😂

And of course I would be absolutely thrilled at the idea, count me in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viren123)
    They normally with throw in a hard question like this as the last question of a GCSE exam, so all the people predicted grade 9 have something to work on for the remaining half an hour lol :P
    Haha true

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.