The Student Room Group

Lost all motivation for Last Year of Animation Degree

I'm not too sure how to combat this feeling of anger and frustration at my course that has left me with no motivation and almost empty ? When I first started I was excited and passionate but now I feel suffocated. I know its only a few months till I finish but I just want out. Throughout the whole of uni I haven't felt as though I've been taught anything of importance, most of my skill in animation has come from buying online courses,I mean I've heard of self teaching but this is ridiculous. Now we also have exams that relate to film studies ( Why an animation student needs to take this is beyond me) and film students have been taught all the material we while have been practising animation.On top on this I run my own business and it seems as though Uni takes up so much time, energy and mental stamina yet there are literally no rewards or a sense of achievement with anything whereas if I put the effort in with my business I can see the fruits of my labour. I've been applying for jobs since September and I haven't gotten a single reply back. It feels as though uni has been the biggest waste of time and im still stuck feeling trapped without any kind of job prospect at the end. I dunno I just feel so fed up, but I can't quit now I'm so close to finishing but the stress and hopelessness is starting to take a toll. Does anyone else feel this way? and how can you combat it? I hate feeling so burnt out.
Original post by Animates
I'm not too sure how to combat this feeling of anger and frustration at my course that has left me with no motivation and almost empty ? When I first started I was excited and passionate but now I feel suffocated. I know its only a few months till I finish but I just want out. Throughout the whole of uni I haven't felt as though I've been taught anything of importance, most of my skill in animation has come from buying online courses,I mean I've heard of self teaching but this is ridiculous. Now we also have exams that relate to film studies ( Why an animation student needs to take this is beyond me) and film students have been taught all the material we while have been practising animation.On top on this I run my own business and it seems as though Uni takes up so much time, energy and mental stamina yet there are literally no rewards or a sense of achievement with anything whereas if I put the effort in with my business I can see the fruits of my labour. I've been applying for jobs since September and I haven't gotten a single reply back. It feels as though uni has been the biggest waste of time and im still stuck feeling trapped without any kind of job prospect at the end. I dunno I just feel so fed up, but I can't quit now I'm so close to finishing but the stress and hopelessness is starting to take a toll. Does anyone else feel this way? and how can you combat it? I hate feeling so burnt out.

Have you spoken to anyone at your university about your options. You might be able to leave now with an ordinary degree or you might be able to intermit/suspend your studies for a year to give yourself some time to find your motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest