The Student Room Group

He used the n word

Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
What should I do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.
Reply 2
Original post by INFIGAAR
Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.

But it wasn’t funny and he didn’t realise it was wrong until I told him.
it depends were he is from. P.S is the movie worth it?
Reply 4
Na sis, he's not worth it. The fact he said that in front of you shows that he has no regard for your feelings whatsoever.
Original post by Anonymous

Did he mean it with malice? Is it worth kicking up a fuss, being shell-shocked and having a 1000-yard stare? Have you just experienced some unimaginable tragedy?

No, you haven't.
hm. he who? if it's your fella then, well..yea..strange if he's racist while dating a black person lol

it's a bad look for us swirlers/non-black people who date black people. black anti-swirlers don't trust us because they think we're "closet racists" or that the black person with them is disturbed. I obv disagree but if you stay with someone who uses that kinda talk then yea. Just wait if he does it again, Id never tell a stranger to end a relationship.
Why can black people only say that word and white/asian people cant? isn’t that racist that white/asian people cant say it ?

Coming from an asian background... don’t want to cause any offence just wondering
Tell him you didn’t like what was said and for him to not do it again. If you’d rather not associate yourself with him then break up with him, but **** knows how you’re feeling about it
Reply 9

Well racism still exists, but I wouldn't been too keen that it was the case when he said it since he's your friend. Just tell him next time that, "that word was used as a derogatory term for my ancestors and I'd appreciate if you think before you speak."
I'm African but northern, not dark at all and my friends call me it, but only them. Anyone else would get their jaw rocked.
Why can black people only say that word and white/asian people cant? isn’t that racist that white/asian people cant say it ?

Coming from an asian background... don’t want to cause any offence just wondering

Because it has been used in the past and is still used to degrade and dehumanize black people.

I think it’s wrong regardless of your race.
your boyfriend sounds like a funny lad there is nothing wrong with him using it in a joking scene it doesn't matter if YOU didn't find it funny. he said it once, he made a joke. get over it
also why are you anon? no one cares about your username.

Ok you know what Im going on an anon boycott @It's****ingWOODY @euphrosyne
Original post by Appazap
Because it has been used in the past and is still used to degrade and dehumanize black people.

far worse is being done to black people besides a petty word though, and you guys never seem to know about those things or care when you find out :flute:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
also why are you anon? no one cares about your username.

Ok you know what Im going on an anon boycott @It's****ingWOODY @euphrosyne

Anti-anon crew checking in.

I just don't see the logic in using a forum anonymously, and using anon for total non-sensitive issues like this. It's like people have some sort of online reputation to protect or some s*** :rofl:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Anti-anon crew checking in.

I just don't see the logic in using a forum anonymously, and using anon for total non-sensitive issues like this. It's like people have some sort of online reputation to protect or some s*** :rofl:

well this is a sensitive issue, for op anyway, but still i only went anon once and that was by accident. It was an out of body experience.
If you’re very close then maybe he was just trying to be friendly, if you talk like that with your other friends maybe he was just trying to be casual, idk.
I don’t use the word personally.

That said, I know an interracial couple who do throw that word around with each other. I suppose it depends on you. I don’t really think anybody should use it, but people do.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
far worse is being done to black people besides a petty word though, and you guys never seem to know about those things or care when you find out :flute:

What are you talking about? Just because there are worst things that happen to black people does not therefore justify others using a degoratory term. Microaggression is just as bad as any other form of racism. If you're not black you do not have the right to tell black people how they should feel about a word that is not directed at you.
Original post by Appazap
What are you talking about? Just because there are worst things that happen to black people does not therefore justify others using a degoratory term. Microaggression is just as bad as any other form of racism. If you're not black you do not have the right to tell black people how they should feel about a word that is not directed at you.

lol what do you mean what am I talking about, can you read? Oh **** sake with that microaggression bull ****. How is not wanting to sit next to you on the tube as bad as forcibly removing you from Africa or police killing you? :lol: crazy...crying about microaggression is just as bad as crying if someone doesn't wanna play with you on the swings.

Sorry. She just got me so angry.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending