Turn on thread page Beta

He used the n word watch

Announcements

?

Coming from an asian background... don’t want to cause any offence just wondering[/QUOTE]

Well said!!!

(Original post by Appazap)
    Because it has been used in the past and is still used to degrade and dehumanize black people.
    Erm, so? If it's a degrading word then black people shouldn't say it to each other, the fact that it's wrong to say if your skin colour is white is the definition of racism, so yeah, saying white people can't use the n word is racist. Doesn't matter though, white people can and do use that word, you can't claim a word is the property of a certain race honey.

ReputationRep:
    Like i said if you're not black your opinion on whether black people should or should not use that word is not your business or problem. It would be common decency as a white person to not use that word. I refrain from saying slurs aimed at other different types of people because I have morals. Of course i could say slurs if i wanted to, but I actively choose not to regardless of whether i think it is fine or not.

p.s: people can be discriminatory towards white people but not racist. They created racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INFIGAAR)
    Accept it, using the n word is fine when used in the context of banter.
    Racism is never fine.

ReputationRep:
    I understand this is a student forum, but the lack of maturity displayed by some of the comments here is frankly staggering...SMH.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    just tell him that he shouldn't have said that word- if he doesn't care then drop him.

ReputationRep:
    Like i said if you're not black your opinion on whether black people should or should not use that word is not your business or problem. It would be common decency as a white person to not use that word. I refrain from saying slurs aimed at other different types of people because I have morals. Of course i could say slurs if i wanted to, but I actively choose not to regardless of whether i think it is fine or not.

p.s: people can be discriminatory towards white people but not racist. They created racism.

That last sentence is wrong and bad and you are bad for saying it and you should feel bad.

Well, well, where to even begin :facepalm:

1) I, as a human being, can comment on whatever I wish without necessarily being affected by the matter. I can comment on child abuse, despite never having been abused, I can stand up to fascism without ever having been the victim of it, I can criticise the government's policy without being an MP or lawmaker etc., you get the picture. This logic that you can only comment on and discuss things that directly affect you is rubbish and the sort of logic I'd expect a schoolchild to use.

2) Following on from this, if we can't comment on how black people use the word because we're not black then similarly black people can't comment on how white people use the word if they're not white. You can't have it both ways, dear.

3) But ignoring this, I have every right to comment on how black people use the word. If it's so derogatory for them to be used by a white person then maybe they should think about stopping the use of the word themselves, so that the term dies out.

4) Excuse me? Racism is racism, here's the official definition for you: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism. So, as you can see, you can definitely be racist towards a white person, not that this has any bearing on them being able to use the n word. They can use it and they do.

5) Please provide your evidence that white people invented racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, well, where to even begin :facepalm:

1) I, as a human being, can comment on whatever I wish without necessarily being affected by the matter. I can comment on child abuse, despite never having been abused, I can stand up to fascism without ever having been the victim of it, I can criticise the government's policy without being an MP or lawmaker etc., you get the picture. This logic that you can only comment on and discuss things that directly affect you is rubbish and the sort of logic I'd expect a schoolchild to use.

2) Following on from this, if we can't comment on how black people use the word because we're not black then similarly black people can't comment on how white people use the word if they're not white. You can't have it both ways, dear.

3) But ignoring this, I have every right to comment on how black people use the word. If it's so derogatory for them to be used by a white person then maybe they should think about stopping the use of the word themselves, so that the term dies out.

4) Excuse me? Racism is racism, here's the official definition for you: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/racism. So, as you can see, you can definitely be racist towards a white person, not that this has any bearing on them being able to use the n word. They can use it and they do.

5) Please provide your evidence that white people invented racism.

2 questions:

Why are you anonymous?

Secondly, the point you are trying prove is quite bizarre, it comes across as if you are saying "I also equally have the right to use racial slurs"?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that anyone "offended" by this, get the script for the "off Broadway" show: "Two Trains Running". It is a few years old, written by a black playwrite. I attended a production at a D.C. theater years ago. I was surprised to find that the audience was over 80% black - usually it was about 50%. The first act was interrupted by spontaneous applause and cheering 8 times [i'd never seen that before in the 3 years i'd been going to shows there. I was a supporting member, we got 7 free plays a year, as part of our membership. In the script, the "n-word" occurred about every 3rd word. The audience thought it was GREAT!!! I waited through the first act, and then left during the break. Supposedly, this playwrite is very highly regarded. I thought that the synopsis presented in the 'review of plays' sounded interesting. "An inner-city neighbourhood is losing it's population, as inhabitants move to the suburbs, businesses close, and those remaining struggle to survive with a declining economy". Unfortunately, the playwrite failed to utilize this opening situation to advantage [at least in my opinion]. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    ignore it its a petty word to offend you im hispanic and get it all the time its best to ignore then cause a huge issue

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
    He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
    What should I do
    I don't know. Sorry.

ReputationRep:

If you are not white then your opinion on whether white people should or should not use that word is not your business or problem, it would be common decency for a black person to not use a word that they dont want other people to say.

And no, you are factually wrong, anyone can be racist to anyone else regrdless of anything. and "racism" has been around as long as other races existed, pre humans fought other pre humans, the Egyptians hated the jews, some unheard of tribe hated some other unheard of tribe

(Original post by Zelex)
    2 questions:

Why are you anonymous?

Secondly, the point you are trying prove is quite bizarre, it comes across as if you are saying "I also equally have the right to use racial slurs"?
    Yes, the point is bizarre, but it still stands. I'm not saying I want to or have used the n word, what I'm arguing is the principle behind it, namely that no word, regardless of how offensive it is, belongs to and is the property of a particular racial group.

I was also commenting on that poster's implicit racism, by saying that white people using the word is malicious and unacceptable, but black people using the word is fine. If that isn't an example of racism101 then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him you still find it offensive, if he continues, then he's a prick.

ReputationRep:
    Black people have reclaimed the word as a way to uplift themselves.
    Lmao how does that make sense

ReputationRep:

I think it's wrong for anyone to use the n-word (hard r) to another person offensively. Also, white people did not 'create' racism, and you can be racist to any race, as it says in the definition. And saying you cannot be racist to white people, is in fact, racist, because you're being discriminatory based on one's race.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the point is bizarre, but it still stands. I'm not saying I want to or have used the n word, what I'm arguing is the principle behind it, namely that no word, regardless of how offensive it is, belongs to and is the property of a particular racial group.

I was also commenting on that poster's implicit racism, by saying that white people using the word is malicious and unacceptable, but black people using the word is fine. If that isn't an example of racism101 then I don't know what is.
    Fair enough, personally I would have just ignored the poster. It comes across quite awkward.

On your final point, in today's society, subconsciously, when we see or hear situations where a white person uses the word, it tends to be associated with malicious intent (I haven't ever come across it being used in a friendly way) whilst the examples of black people (from TV, music) using the word tend to be in "jest". That's probably the underlying thinking behind the poster's reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I just don’t know how to feel. I’m black and he’s white. We went to watch the black panther movie since it came out today.
    He told me he watched the trailer and thought it was like an avatar n**** movie.

I was absolutely speechless and just laughed it off but now I can’t stop thinking about it.
    What should I do
    Is your friend Iranian or Iraqi?

(Original post by Zelex)
    Fair enough, personally I would have just ignored the poster. It comes across quite awkward.

On your final point, in today's society, subconsciously, when we see or hear situations where a white person uses the word, it tends to be associated with malicious intent (I haven't ever come across it being used in a friendly way) whilst the examples of black people (from TV, music) using the word tend to be in "jest". That's probably the underlying thinking behind the poster's reasoning.
    And that's the problem, there shouldn't be these 2 wildly different interpretations of exactly the same word. If the n word is a racial slur then what are black people's reasoning for continuing to use the term among themselves? Seems very bizarre (not to mention racist), that a word's very definition changes depending on the skin colour of the person who said it. I personally think that it black people are so offended by non-blacks saying it then they should stop using the term themselves, so that it gradually fades out of existence. And if they don't want to stop using the word then they cannot reasonably expect all non-blacks to stop using it, as words are free property of all.

ReputationRep:
    White guy here, I don’t really want to allowed to constantly call someone the n word and I never will. If black people do it to each other I couldn’t care less, as long as they’re not screaming bs like “you can’t be racist to white people”. Anyhow, this person is clearly upset about it, let’s not tell each other what we can and what we can’t be offended by. I don’t get offended when someone says the n word, but do I think it’s disrespectful? Hell yes I do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.