Turn on thread page Beta

Arizona Senate passes bill to allow tax payments in cryptocurrencies watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/us-ar...nts-in-bitcoin

The Arizona Senate passed a bill on Feb. 8 to allow residents in the state to pay their taxes with cryptocurrencies, public records indicate.

The Senate Bill 1091, which intends to enable cryptocurrencies for tax payment, was introduced Jan. 10, 2018 and passed by the Senate Finance Committee by a 4-3 vote on Jan. 24. On Feb. 8, the Senate passed the bill by a 16-13 margin, with one no-vote.

The bill has now been sent to Arizona’s House of Representatives.

If the bill is adopted, Arizona would become the first state in the U.S. to accept cryptocurrency tax payments by the year of 2020, as stated on the public record. The bill would allow taxpayers of the state to use “a payment gateway, such as Bitcoin, Litecoin or any other cryptocurrency recognized by the department, using electronic peer-to-peer systems.”

Pretty big news, I wonder if the house of reps will approve it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Interesting news for sure, though I would be somewhat surprised if it were to be approved at this point in time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Interesting news for sure, though I would be somewhat surprised if it were to be approved at this point in time.
    Yeah I'm not sure if the house of reps will pass it but it at least shows a willingness at the senate level. In fact recently during the CFTC meeting they were actually quite bullish on cryptocurrency which was pretty surprising.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.