Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I agreed to live with 3 people from my course for the second year in a student house, of the 3 I only really know 1 of them and the other two I've met in passing (they're friends with the 1 I know). Basically we've signed the agreement and have paid the admin fees but we're not technically bound to a contract until we pay the first months rent in advanced in March.

What I want to know is, how do I let them know that I'm maybe having second thoughts about living with them next year?

The reasons for this are that I don't feel I can trust the 2 I don't really know, we've been trying to organise for us all to get together and set up a joint bank account but they never seem to respond, they just don't seem organised or bothered about the commitment we'll be making in renting a house!

My dad was telling me to make sure they're trustworthy as the last thing I want is to be the one making sure everyone pays their side of the rent on time for a whole year, but now that we have all paid the admin fees that are non refundable I feel that I've come to this realisation too late. Plus wouldn't that be a **** move? They'd have to find someone really quickly to fill my gap, and I'm okay with losing the money I've already spent but I'm not sure they will be if they don't find someone else on time?

What do you think? Should I just tell them so they possibly have time to find someone new or should I stick with them and hope it works out? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Drop them!!! It'd be way too much stress to carry into second year if they can't be trusted to pay rent on time. Trust your gut instinct on this one and also along with the added work load that second year brings, it just doesn't seem worth it in my opinion. I hope you come to a good decision regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to live with them you need to tell them right away, but it is bad of you that you already said you would/made a payment/signed papers. But ultimately you have to do what's right for you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice so far. I made a mistake so, quick correction: I haven't signed a contract yet, I've signed a paper that says I agree to pay the admin fees and that I or the landlord can still opt out but the fees are non refundable either way.

This means I wouldn't have trouble getting out of a contract or anything, but I'd still be stressing out the others if I went through with it. Hopefully it would be quite quick for them to find someone to fill my gap, there should still be people looking for a space right?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    1. If you've signed something you may not be able to change your mind.

2. DO NOT share a bank account with a bunch of students. You could end up with your credit score tied to them. You need a contract where you are each SEPARATELY liable for rent for your own individual rooms, not jointly liable for the whole building. Then one person should take the bills in their name and everyone else should either agree to pay the whole year up front to them or should pay them monthly. If you c an give one bill to each person that works out OK. Otherwise try not to get the big ones in your name! You need to protect yourself financially.

3. If you want to move out just tell them you don't think the house is going to work and you have some other plans. They won't be happy but they should be able to find another tenant. You'll have to accept they're not happy with you though.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you set up a joint bank account? Such a stupid idea.

As for telling them, they need to know ASAP in order to find a replacement. By dragging it out, you're only making their life more difficult.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.