Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer to study CS at the University of Edinburgh.I am not eligible for the second year entry because I don't take further mathematics.Is the first year worth it and is it just a recap of A levels?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by utdfan123)
    I have an offer to study CS at the University of Edinburgh.I am not eligible for the second year entry because I don't take further mathematics.Is the first year worth it and is it just a recap of A levels?
    I'm a first-year MInf at Edinburgh.

I'd say first-year is worth it. It eases you in nicely and the style of the exam and the knowledge you require to pass them is different to A-Levels. A lot different. It's a lot more application and theory rather than straightforward computation like A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'm a first-year MInf at Edinburgh.

I'd say first-year is worth it. It eases you in nicely and the style of the exam and the knowledge you require to pass them is different to A-Levels. A lot different. It's a lot more application and theory rather than straightforward computation like A-Level.
    Should I go ahead and firm my offer?How is the teaching quality and is it mandatory to take courses from other departments in the first two years because I only want to do computing and am sure of it so don't wanna take courses in other subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by utdfan123)
    Should I go ahead and firm my offer?How is the teaching quality and is it mandatory to take courses from other departments in the first two years because I only want to do computing and am sure of it so don't wanna take courses in other subjects.
    Yes. You have to pick different courses, however, some of the optional modules are also run by the School of Informatics (for example, cognitive science).

You have to pick optional modules because your core Informatics modules do not add up to the full 120 credits required to pass each year.

Common optional modules are here: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/imurra...ses_17-18.html (I don't think it's in the password-protected area of the university).

I'm only a first-year, so I don't have an awful lot of experience, however, I think the teaching quality has been pretty good so far (for the Informatics and Mathematics modules anyway). I took an engineering module last semester as my optional course, and I found some of the engineering lecturers pretty mundane but other than that it was fine.

I'd say firm Edinburgh only if you really want to come here. This goes for any university. Don't firm University of X solely because of its reputation/prestige/rankings.Edinburgh has been good for me so far. I've made use of the careers service and I've gotten some solid advice on how to get internships in the first-year. The CompSci society (CompSoc) is fantastic and holds regular events and you get the likes of Bloomberg, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Amazon, ARM, SkyScanner, EY, PwC etc. coming in to do on-campus recruitment/events etc.

I should warn you that accommodation can be pretty expensive here. I've actually just come back from a few flat viewings for next year, and although the location is absolutely fantastic (15 min walk to Princes Street, and so close to the uni you could literally roll out of bed and get into lectures), the prices are high compared to other cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Yes. You have to pick different courses, however, some of the optional modules are also run by the School of Informatics (for example, cognitive science).

You have to pick optional modules because your core Informatics modules do not add up to the full 120 credits required to pass each year.

Common optional modules are here: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/imurra...ses_17-18.html (I don't think it's in the password-protected area of the university).

I'm only a first-year, so I don't have an awful lot of experience, however, I think the teaching quality has been pretty good so far (for the Informatics and Mathematics modules anyway). I took an engineering module last semester as my optional course, and I found some of the engineering lecturers pretty mundane but other than that it was fine.

I'd say firm Edinburgh only if you really want to come here. This goes for any university. Don't firm University of X solely because of its reputation/prestige/rankings.Edinburgh has been good for me so far. I've made use of the careers service and I've gotten some solid advice on how to get internships in the first-year. The CompSci society (CompSoc) is fantastic and holds regular events and you get the likes of Bloomberg, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Amazon, ARM, SkyScanner, EY, PwC etc. coming in to do on-campus recruitment/events etc.

I should warn you that accommodation can be pretty expensive here. I've actually just come back from a few flat viewings for next year, and although the location is absolutely fantastic (15 min walk to Princes Street, and so close to the uni you could literally roll out of bed and get into lectures), the prices are high compared to other cities.
    Thank you so much!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.