Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am a mature student (30) and will be applying for student finance for 2018/19.

I am trying to work out how much I would be entitled to for the maintenance loan. I am single and currently earn just over 27k. When I start University however I will be dropping down to part time hours (about 13k) so does this mean I will be entitled to the full amount of maintenance loan?

I am slightly confused as from what I have read my income would be assessed based on previous years, even though I wouldn't be earning this while at University.

Many Thanks

Tom
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tscooper1988)
    Hello,

I am a mature student (30) and will be applying for student finance for 2018/19.

I am trying to work out how much I would be entitled to for the maintenance loan. I am single and currently earn just over 27k. When I start University however I will be dropping down to part time hours (about 13k) so does this mean I will be entitled to the full amount of maintenance loan?

I am slightly confused as from what I have read my income would be assessed based on previous years, even though I wouldn't be earning this while at University.

Many Thanks

Tom
    Hi tscooper1988,

Are you living with a wife or partner? do you have any dependent children?

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi tscooper1988,

Are you living with a wife or partner? do you have any dependent children?

Thanks

Catherine
    Thank you for your reply.

I am single and will be living in a shared house or flat. No children.

Tom
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you for your reply.

I am single and will be living in a shared house or flat. No children.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

As you are classed as an independent student as you are over 25, you will be entitled to the full entitlement, below is a calculator, you can use this to get an estimate of what you will be entitled to.

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi Tom,

As you are classed as an independent student as you are over 25, you will be entitled to the full entitlement, below is a calculator, you can use this to get an estimate of what you will be entitled to.

http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

Thanks

Catherine
    Thank you, with regards to the question regarding employment on the application.

Will you be employed while you're studying?

Should I answer this with Yes. I will be doing 18 hrs part time during my course.

It says below the question to exclude part-time work if its during the evenings or weekends which seems a little trivial why the timing should matter.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you, with regards to the question regarding employment on the application.

Will you be employed while you're studying?

Should I answer this with Yes. I will be doing 18 hrs part time during my course.

It says below the question to exclude part-time work if its during the evenings or weekends which seems a little trivial why the timing should matter.
    Hi Tom,

We do not take income into consideration when processing your application, we will only ask for unearned income, below is a list that will show what we look for when processing applications.

Income that will be taken into account
    • Bank or Building Society Gross Interest
    • Property Lettings or Rent
    • Dividends from investments/shares/unit trusts
    • Trusts or Sponsorships
    • Pensions
    • Any other payment received for attending the course (This does not include University Bursaries)
    Income that will NOT be taken into account
    • Any earnings from full or part-time work this can be vacation work or work during term time
    • Maintenance Loan or Grant payments
    • Child and Working Tax Credits
    • ISA’s, TESSA’s
    • Payments received from parents under covenant
    • Maintenance payments received for children. These maintenance payments should be included as part of the children’s income in section 8d
    • Teacher Training Bursaries
    • Care Leavers Bursary
    • Other Higher Education Bursaries (HEBSS/WBS)
    • Bounties paid by the armed services to reservists or disablement or invalidity pensions
    • Profit from selling property
    • Ebay

Thanks

Catherine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.