Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which of these will have the strongest department for a traditional type English Literature syllabus?

Exeter
    Durham
    Bristol
    York
    Edinburgh
    Newcastle.

My A levels are in Latin, English Literature, History, Philosophy.

I'm keener on a city-based uni than a pure campus. I've excluded London unis. Bristol city looks lovely but doesn't seem to have any reputation for English, but more for Engineering. Durham is top in ranking, but I don't want anywhere too posh with too many extroverts, or is this prejudice? Edinburgh doesn't feature much in the national rankings, but is high in QS rankings. All a bit confusing, but reputation matters I guess.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think I’ve heard Bristol has a very traditional English lit course, might have to check that tho..Durham Bristol and and Edinburgh probs have the best reputation.. Exeter I’ve heard is incredibly racist I think there was a news article about it. Durham is probably your best one, good rep, good English course. I would go to a open day for Durham if you can but otherwise check student crowd for ratings.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. Most open days clustered around June but yes that's the answer to all this. kind regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QIWirelessCharge)
    Which of these will have the strongest department for a traditional type English Literature syllabus?

Exeter
    Durham
    Bristol
    York
    Edinburgh
    Newcastle.

My A levels are in Latin, English Literature, History, Philosophy.

I'm keener on a city-based uni than a pure campus. I've excluded London unis. Bristol city looks lovely but doesn't seem to have any reputation for English, but more for Engineering. Durham is top in ranking, but I don't want anywhere too posh with too many extroverts, or is this prejudice? Edinburgh doesn't feature much in the national rankings, but is high in QS rankings. All a bit confusing, but reputation matters I guess.
    Hi! I'm a 3rd year English and Related Literature student at York and I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone! I think it depends on what you mean by a traditional syllabus but there are a lot of opportunities to pick exactly what you want to study so if you wanted to do as much Shakespeare as humanly possible then you can get a chance to do that but also you can do a huge variety of things. A lot of my friends love studying film and do it for the majority of their essays but I'm more of a hard-core book nerd so haven't written on a film for my entire degree. Here is a link to the page that has all of the information about the modules that are currently available!

In terms of campus and city I personally think York is the perfect balance, the campus is big so that it isn't claustrophobic and has everything from starbucks to a doctors' surgery so you never have to leave if you don't want to. That being said, not leaving campus would be a huge shame because the city is beautiful, so many coffee shops, pubs, and second hand bookshops! It's really easy to get to so you could walk or cycle from campus or get the bus which is every 6-ish minutes and relatively cheap (they do so many deals for students).

I think that in terms of extroverts and posh people it totally depends on who you meet when you're there and most unis are going to have a huge mix of people from all backgrounds. Societies are a huge thing at York so if you don't get on well with your housemates then you can join a club that interests you so you can find a group of friends. I was really lucky with my housemates but my best friends are all living together and met through going to a Literature Society event!

Tbh I wouldn't pay too much attention to league tables, as much as reputation does matter anything can change while you're studying there or some unis may have a low turnout for people participating in the surveys. As cliche as it is you do get a feel for the uni when you go and contacting them with any questions is probably the best gauge you can get. York's got some open days on Friday 29 June and Sunday 1 July, and Saturday and Sunday, 15 and 16 September

Sorry for the gigantic reply- hope it was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with all this info - I love the sound of the course from the link, and of York, as you've described it, sounds lovely, so I will make an effort to get up to York from London on one of those open days. Thx !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QIWirelessCharge)
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with all this info - I love the sound of the course from the link, and of York, as you've described it, sounds lovely, so I will make an effort to get up to York from London on one of those open days. Thx !
    No worries! I'd definitely recommend York, also if you're coming from London you can get here pretty easily from Kings Cross on the train (pro-tip: if you get your student bank account with Santander you get a 16-25 rail card included which makes travel really reasonable!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.