Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Having Surgery Whilst At University watch

Announcements

Hi

I am a transgender person and i need to have top surgery to remove my breasts. I am looking to go to university in September 2018 for a physiotherapy course. However it may not be possible to have the surgery before the course starts. I was wondering if any of you guys had any idea what it would be like to have surgery whilst at university.

Thanks for any help you can give
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi

I am a transgender person and i need to have top surgery to remove my breasts. I am looking to go to university in September 2018 for a physiotherapy course. However it may not be possible to have the surgery before the course starts. I was wondering if any of you guys had any idea what it would be like to have surgery whilst at university.

Thanks for any help you can give
    Hi there. I had a laparoscopy while I was at university. I also had some health issues going on at the same time though so my uni attendance wasn't the best anyway.
    As far as what it's like goes it will obviously depend on the surgery itself and what recovery times etc are involved, but on the whole it's not all that different from being off sick.

Make sure your uni knows you will be having surgery, give them a general idea of how long you will be out of uni for (you can base that on the recovery time for the surgery) and give them some sort of evidence (like your appointment letter or a doctors note).

Try to sort out being giving the work for while you are away so if you're feeling up to it you can take a look at it while you're recovering or so you can look at it before/ after.

Have somebody/s to take care of you and do things like bring you food and drink. I can not emphasise enough how important a waiter is when you're stuck in bed not feeling well. You might like to have the surgery done near home so your family can support you.

If you have all that set up you just need to have the surgery, take some time to feel better then go back to uni and catch up on what you missed. That shouldn't be an issue if it's a short recovery time, but if it is longer or you expect you'll have some difficulty catching up then you can talk to your uni's student support team about a plan. You might be able to get some help from a study support person for a while or absolute worst comes to the worst you can always skip the rest of the year and start back later when it comes around again. There is always an option so have a chat with student support about it and work out a plan of action.

So yeah it's really not all that different from being ill, except you have time to plan.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Anyone having surgery take Glutamine Powder - will speed up recovery and lessen chances of infection

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.